*crickets* .......... *more crickets*

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pierreb
go look at the welcome new member forum, it'll show you how to set it up like kawf.

much of what you dislike has been addressed.
Nope, says there are 5 posts in there but it's been marked as private. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/new-member-welcome-area-162/
Old 04-13-2009, 04:45 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

huh? Here's the threaded mode post:
There has been much confusion about the 'correct' way to use the new AudiWorld forums, this is the first in a series of How To articles that will hopefully help users streamline the experience, which will make the forums more useful!

First step, choose your viewing preference. It's HIGHLY suggested to use Threaded view, which mimics very well the old forum structure. Set that up by going first to your User CP, then Edit Options.

Scroll a bit, and find Thread Display Mode. Again, Threaded is suggested, but Linear is fine.

You MAY have to change your settings inside an actual post as well, there is a Display Modes button on the top right of the screen.

Note:Once you set these, you don't have to set them again, even if you log out.

The next step in this process, you'll want to turn OFF quotes in your USER CP. Because of the way the the legacy AudiWorld data was imported into the new forum, every single reply to every single post is quoted throughout the thread. This makes it very challenging to read.

But, you can turn off seeing those quotes, thanks to some clever coding by the VB gurus.

In User CP, Edit Details is the option for Quoted Text.

Note:Oddly, this only seems to effect the LEGACY posts, not new ones. It's good in reality, quotes are a helpful way for the linear view folks to make their threads sensible for Threaded view folks.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-13-2009, 04:46 AM
Cat Herder

here's the sorting and subscribing post:

Ok, now that you've gotten your display mode set to the way you like it, you have to choose how you want to sort your forum view. There are many ways to sort the forum display. To mimic the old forum style, you'll want to set your sort to Thread Start Time, and Descending. These controls are located at the bottom of each forum.

Note:These settings are "sticky", they are remembered for you, even if you log out.

This setting essentially eliminates 'bumping'; that is, NEW threads appear at the top, but no replies work their way up. It's therefore suggested that you enable Automatic Subscriptions (much like 'Tracking' in the old software).

You can enable that in the User CP, Edit Options page. Look for the Default Thread Subscription Mode section. You can also set options for receiving email notifications about your subscribed threads.

You can then view all of your subscribed threads in one location, Under Quick Links, Your Subscribed Threads.

What I did:I set my options for Instant Email. Then, in my email program (I use Outlook) I created a rule, which takes all email receieved from noreply@audiworld.com, and moves it into it's own folder. I can quickly skim the emails, and then delete en masse when I'm done.

Hope this helps!
You should PM Kris Hansen if these are somehow not visible to you.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:14 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

that's strange, I can read them, while not even logged in.. You really can't read them?
Old 04-13-2009, 05:26 AM
Cat Herder

^^^oh look i found an 'NT' bug.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

User error.. There are no bugs. honestly, I have no idea.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Raider1
I know it's normal to not like change... but I can tell everyone that this is the most popular and most used format for forums now days.

I'm on several political forums (not as Raider1) and almost all have over the last year or two either switched to or were already on this format.

I actually find it easier to navigate... but then I'm used to it already.
Dancing With The Stars and American Idol are insanely popular, but I still think they are lame shows.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by donahoe73
Dancing With The Stars and American Idol are insanely popular, but I still think they are lame shows.
As Dr. Phil might say... It ain't about you!!!

Just kidding! I was just saying that this seems to be the format most administrators and users seem to have liked and upgraded to.

The whole point is just to have a good place with good people to share info and personal views & experiences with the Audi.

Your input is I'm sure valuable as well. Hope you stick around my friend.