This is what we woke up to this morning...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Work has been good...

I'm going through the "training phase" right now, bringing myself up to speed on the 70+ SOP's that they use up here since they are a medical device manufacturer (GMP/QSR, ISO 9000, ISO 13485, MDD, JPAL, etc).

I've been selected to take over a couple of smaller projects for the time being while I get caught up to speed with everything. It's a lot different at this facility than it was in Orlando. Here they are manufacture a low tech product in high volumes using some pretty sophisticated techniques.

Once I went from R&D to Manufacturing in Orlando, I kind of got more interested in the Manufacturing Process over the Design Process. I enjoy finding better ways to put things together while learning full well how they work in every perspective. This interest kind of helped me realize my long term goal of going back to school for my MBA.

They have a couple of very good schools up this way, and I'm really hoping to be able to peak the interest of the upper management. My preference would be to be able to attend the Executive MBA Program at the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. It's been one of the top 10 MBA schools in the country for a long time, and I believe it is actually the oldest Business school in the country...

However, work would definitely have to pay for that one ($140k program)!

Right now I'm just trying to focus on my career goals. We actually like it up here. It's very pretty, great roads, really nice people, and it's close to everything in this part of the country. We plan on taking weekend trips to different places each week. Within two hours drive there's: NYC, Baltimore, Annapolis, DC, various historical sites, etc.

We look forward to having a lot of fun learning about this part of the country and just settling down a bit. I've lived in Florida since I was 4 years old. I'm looking forward to a bit of change.

While I can't rule out anything, I don't thing we'll be back in Florida for a while (to live anyways!)
Old 11-21-2007, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good luck with getting into Wharton. It's like the MIT of MBA programs, you need to be in the top 1%

of applicants. You need to focus on what you are doing for a while. Most Executive MBA programs want you to have at least 8-10 years of "real world" experience before they'll even look at you. I think you might want to consider taking some operations management courses, that is really more applicable for what you'll be focused on in the short term and will fill in much of what you're missing with your EE degree. Glad you like PA and good luck.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:42 AM

Default If you're really interested in the mfg process side, you might consider Industrial Engineering

as a Master's degree. It would ad a lot of flexibility/marketability on top of your EE degree.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's exactly what my plan is...

There is a local Penn State campus that I plan on taking the majority of my "refresher" courses at. They have some pretty good classes for Supply Chain Management as well as general business management undergrad.

Next semester I'm just going to start it off easy with Micro-->Macro-->business accounting--->etc just working on 1-2 classes a semester just to beef up the business side of my education...

I agree with the 8-10 years of experience mantra as well. May of next year will put me right at the 4 year point so I'd like to get started on an MBA program by 2012 or so. In the mean time, I'm going to take full advantage of the education reimbursement that the company offers.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:06 AM

wow that sux. I would never want to live in snow!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I also plan to take full advantage of the internal programs and training that the company offers...

at headquarters as well.

All in due time. I'm not looking for everything now, I'm just trying to keep my long term goals in sight to help plan my short term goals.

Jody/Shane, I greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions. I'm so early in my career, I'm all about learning from the mistakes/success of others to help steer my own career in the right direction.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Heh, my sister's old boss got his MBA from Wharton...

and didn't know the difference between omnipotent and omniscient