With all the new audio player cell phones, why buy an ipod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have a 20gig B&W non video ipod, and a 30 gig video ipod.

The 20gig old one I gave to Breeze when I got a video ipod.

I was on a plane coming back from Mike Green's house last night, and it was nice watching the new top gear on my video ipod while on the plane. Even if i get an iphone, i will probably still use my ipod for movies and music.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All depends what part of the phone you going to use the most...

If more than 50% of your use is going to be as a music player the iPhone is a great all in one device. There isn't a phone out there that combines the music player and phone better.

The iPhone is an average phone. Call quality and speaker volume are average, but visual voicemail is really the star of the phone portion. You can achieve similar results with 3rd party services but that all costs money.

As an email/texting machine it really sucks IMO. I guess I have been spoiled by Windows Mobile devices, Symbian and Blackberries. If you are a heavy emailer or texter I think other devices do a much better job. The only thing the iPhone does right with email is reading HTML email.

The version of Safari is excellent but is really hindered by the EDGE connection, I know it has WiFi but chances are I'm near WiFi I can just use a regular computer which always will win over a little 3" screen. Opera's Java browser is nearly as good or if you have a Symbian or WM device the native version of Opera is just as good in fact in certain ways better than the iPhone.

I personally use an AT&T HTC Tilt and I like it for the most part. I will say in the form AT&T sells it sucks and does take a fair amount of tweaking to put back all the stuff AT&T removed to bring it back to way it sold everywhere else in the world. I have a 8GB MicroSD card on the way that will replace my current smaller one and the HTC audio player which has a classic iPod like interface all though it's not nearly as cool as the new coverflow interface with the iPhone/Touch. What's nice with the 3G is I can easily stream near CD quality (128kbps+) MP3 streams and still receive phone calls. The battery life sucks when you do a lot of 3G data though. The down side is that I have to use a stupid adapter to use my headphones with it, though the iPhone has the same problem if you want to use any other set of headphones than the crappy ones they give you. Mobile search is an area where MS is much further (surprisingly) ahead than everyone. The Google Maps app on the iPhone has got nothing on Microsoft's Mobile Live Search.

I think Symbian and WM devices are the best all around devices if all three functions are equally important to you, but no one does music as good as Apple. Also most US WM devices requires a fair amount of work to get it to that peak usable form and doesn't have anything close to the "out of the box" polish the iPhone has. Symbian and WM devices have tons of 3rd party support something the iPhone doesn't really have. There is no such thing as the perfect phone yet.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:41 AM

Wanna sell your ipod?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I'd say no only because it's probably not worth it to sell it...

5th generation 60 GB Black Video iPod
Old 11-26-2007, 03:11 PM

Default I looked at getting video ipod for travel...but

I couldn't deal with looking at that tiny screen for so long. So I picked up an Archos 604 (4th generation{. With a 4.3" screen (480x272 pixels) it's a perfect compromise for portable movies. I get a lot of compliments about picture quality on the plane. The unit fits in my pocket and I can fly coast-to-coast on one battery.

You do need Computer + SW to rip your DVD to AVI (QT or WMV, your choice) and copy to the Archos 30GB HD. You can compress the hell out of the video (<1GB) or go for something with better video quality. I get most movies down to ~1.3GB.

There are other Archos models to choose from, including 5th generation which has higher resolution (4.3" @ 800x600) touchscreen and WiFi.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That's because you're never more than 2 ft from your computer at all times...

no need for an iPod when you can just listen on your computer...
Old 11-27-2007, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Troof but you've got Edge coverage in about 100X more markets.

For now I'll sacrifice speed for availability.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Get the iPhone and just jailbreak it and use the 'anysim' app to use the carrier of your choice...

They've made it so easy now. You just load the 'Installer App' URL into the Safari browser and it's all done wirelessly over your WiFi connection.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Well I used to have it hardwired in my car, but now I prefer MP3 CDs
Old 11-27-2007, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That is the big reason why Jessica and I decided to go ahead with the 1st gen iPhone...

Up here in Reading, they don't have 3g (or any other wireless broadband) and At&t had the best cell coverage in the area.

If we were going to be stuck with edge, why not endure it with one heck of an awesome phone.

Quick Reply: With all the new audio player cell phones, why buy an ipod?