Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

WTF? I log on. I go away for an hour, still logged on but when I come back I have

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default WTF? I log on. I go away for an hour, still logged on but when I come back I have

to log back in again. Never happened *before* and doesn't happen on other websites (except my email account, it times out). Is vB timing out?
Old 03-22-2009, 06:59 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
to log back in again. Never happened *before* and doesn't happen on other websites (except my email account, it times out). Is vB timing out?
I don't have that issue. does it happen with every browser/computer you've tried?

try a manual log out, close of browser, and then log back in, idk.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

it think its their mess, sometimes i log in and after redirecting i'm logged off again, sometimes it takes 4-5xtimes. Might be only IB thing, since they lost all the traffic, this will gain few clicks they desperately need.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pierreb
I don't have that issue. does it happen with every browser/computer you've tried?

try a manual log out, close of browser, and then log back in, idk.
Doesn't happen on my laptop, just this one. Why would I want to log out and close, etc. Typical IT BS "Have you tried rebooting" solution to all problems.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Cat Herder

logging out clears cookies.

i'll move on and let someone else try to help you.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pierreb
logging out clears cookies.

i'll move on and let someone else try to help you.
Treat me like a five year old.

Why would I want to clear the cookies? It appears that I don't have any.

This is making staying here even more difficult.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have no cookies then it can't store a session cookie and will make it very hard for you to stay logged in. Since that's how that works. If you have no cookies i believe the session gets passed around on the request, so if you leave the site and come back you might have to start all over with logging in.

KAWF worked the same way in that regard.

As for clearing cookies, if you do have cookies enabled and have a cookie for AW blasting it will reduce the likely hood of having mismatched session information.

Cookies can corrupt or get mixed session info that causes it to be bad so when you return to the site it can't read the cookie properly. Then it could have trouble updating or replacing the cookie for the same reason.

Logging off may or may not delete the cookie, but if it's bad it probably wont work anyway.

Other issues I could think of. If IB has control over the hardware and does anything like restarting servers like Apache or MySQL that too could cause some odd behavior with existing sessions.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:59 AM
Developer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UrS4boy
If you login without checking the "remember me" checkbox, your login will expire after 30 minutes of inactivity as the session timeout is 1800 seconds. Checking the "remember me" checkbox when logging in stores a cookie on your computer that will keep you logged in even in the event of inactivity and/or closing your browser.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by IB cliffom
If you login without checking the "remember me" checkbox, your login will expire after 30 minutes of inactivity as the session timeout is 1800 seconds. Checking the "remember me" checkbox when logging in stores a cookie on your computer that will keep you logged in even in the event of inactivity and/or closing your browser.
Okay. This is an answer that I can understand. I checked the "remember me" box now and it seems to be fine.

Last edited by UrS4boy; 03-22-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Cat Herder

it's generally more productive if you don't insult the people trying to help you. glad someone else got you taken care of.

have a nice day.

Quick Reply: WTF? I log on. I go away for an hour, still logged on but when I come back I have