Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

Some critiques for the future AW generation

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some critiques for the future AW generation

I just want to have my very last post on this site be a big ol' FU to the jerks at IB who rolled out a buggy, shoddy software system after having 2 years of prep time. The fragmented transition has served to frustrate even the most open minded users. I, for one, was fairly ambivalent, I didn't even really realize a switch was happening until just before it occurred. But like many, once it happened, I was blown out of the water. Even with the hybrid and threaded views, you need to click into posts to view the thread, something you had at your fingertips just by scrolling in KAWF. Yes, just by scrolling. Amaaaaaazing. And the silly emoticons, PM's, and garages... that's not a real improvement, c'mon, stop touting it as one. The security stuff, ok, but drop the rest of it.

What made AW what we all loved at one point was really the community, as many have stated. I know a lot of you new guys can't seem to possibly understand why some old geezer would be so enamored with KAWF, and how these dinosaurs can't embrace the new style... well, I'm 21. I love playing with computers as much as the next guys, and I probably spend 4+ hours a day online. vB sucks. It takes up more space in the page, is difficult to wade through all the pages, and generally just makes it harder to have a conversation than it really needs to be.

And to all the fanboys and flamers who have accounts that are 155,000+ and are making antagonizing posts, go screw yourselves. You have no idea what this community was like, and right now Rome is burning thanks to a combination of IB and you. You think it's better that the site is more like Audizine and VWvortex? Great. The other 155,000 people who came before you pretty much disagree, and I'd say they are a more vital part of this community than you will ever be. Besides, where is AW's comparative advantage if they're exactly the same as every other site, with the same annoying flamers posting about their blinged A4's and chopped and slammed S4's? Let's all just bury the hatchet at this point, I know I have.

*signing off*
Old 03-19-2009, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by smcg3
And to all the fanboys and flamers who have accounts that are 155,000+ and are making antagonizing posts, go screw yourselves. You have no idea what this community was like, and right now Rome is burning thanks to a combination of IB and you.
*signing off*
You claim to have built a great community but then turn around state absolutely assanine things like this that completely belittle people that are new. Building a proper community means welcoming all those who come...not waving some stupid UID in their face and basically telling them to shut up cause they haven't been around long enough. There are just as many "flamers" and "antagonizing posts" from the elitist a-hole members as there are the so-called newb members.

Buuuuut I guess this post will go unread by you anyway so why even waste my time. Although I almost guarantee you'll come to read it....why even post this otherwise.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by smcg3
where is AW's comparative advantage if they're exactly the same as every other site,
My favorite point
Old 03-19-2009, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tekk
You claim to have built a great community but then turn around state absolutely assanine things like this that completely belittle people that are new. Building a proper community means welcoming all those who come...not waving some stupid UID in their face and basically telling them to shut up cause they haven't been around long enough. There are just as many "flamers" and "antagonizing posts" from the elitist a-hole members as there are the so-called newb members.

Buuuuut I guess this post will go unread by you anyway so why even waste my time. Although I almost guarantee you'll come to read it....why even post this otherwise.

But why do you new guys want to come here and change things? I would assume most came here for the community that was built on the backs of the members who liked KAWF.

Last edited by DumpTTruck; 03-19-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DumpTTruck
But why you new guys come here and change things? I would assume most came here for the community that was built on the backs of the members who liked KAWF.
Im sure most have come here because of the community and its activity. Little did most of them know that KAWF was the only glue seemingly keeping it together (which IMO is odd) and when that was dissolved...
Old 03-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im sure most have come here because of the community and its activity. Little did most of them know that KAWF was the only glue seemingly keeping it together (which IMO is odd) and when that was dissolved...
your focus on the software is incorrect. the content, and how it was organized, contributed to and referenced, is what kept people coming back.

it has nothing to do with which software is technically superior.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's kinda true though. I mean, Fortitude and AZ were always there and they were always on vB and many of the members here were members there too (at least on Fortitude). If we really wanted the traditional vB implementation the opportunity was there all along and we would have migrated naturally. We didn't. We liked KAWF. We said it over and over and over again. But in the end what we liked didn't matter.

Additionally, Internet Brands already owns Audiforums.com which is a traditional vB implementation and basically mirrors the same categories that AudiWorld has, so I really don't understand the reason for creating the same thing here.

We had something special. Something a little weird, with quirks you had to be dedicated to put up with but also really cool, kind of like the cars under the brand we rallied around. Now, it's like a last generation Saab- different in name only and entirely bland.

Do we feel a little entitled? Heck yes. Even though we payed nothing to come to this site, thousands of us bought AW merchandise and collectively spent hundreds of thousands of dollars with AW advertisers. A LOT of money flowed through here coming straight from us odd ducks.

The documentary "In Search of Excellence" highlights CT Dairy owner Stew Leonard as one of it's examples of good customer service. Stew has a giant rock just inside the entrance to his Norwalk, CT store with the following engraved in it (engraved in stone is no coincidence):

Rule Number One:
The customer is always right

Rule Number Two:
When in doubt, refer to Rule Number One

Internet Brands would do well to at least consider the rules.