Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

This has to be asked... while the new threaded forum-level view is huge

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This has to be asked... while the new threaded forum-level view is huge

why wasn't it implemented at the time of launch?

Call me skeptical, but here we go...

1) If it really hadn't been worked on, and it only took five days to implement... why hadn't it been worked on, KNOWING that this is a make-or-break deal for AW faithful?

2) If it had been worked on and was so near completion, why not delay the launch until it was ready?

In either scenario, I can only come to the conclusion that it was a management-level decision (likely above Kris or any other mod) that -- obviously -- backfired terribly, forcing them to implement it.

Anyone from IB care to comment? I want specifics. Every response we've gotten thus far has been incredibly vague -- or non-existent.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only answer I can give you based on the information I have at my level is that IB is listening to the community very closely. They obviously are not oblivious to what is going on and despite the many knocks people have leveled against them they have a vested interest in keeping the community happy.

Kris and I have spent many, many hours providing feedback to them, as have many of you.

I too would have liked to have seen it rolled out as it looks now from the get-go. I don't know why it wasn't.

Big picture I think it is getting much closer to best of both worlds, which is a good thing.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Perhaps the low load on the servers with everyone else going "over there" has made it more workable. Dunno.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Internet Brands

Originally Posted by TwentyValveB5+S4
why wasn't it implemented at the time of launch?

Call me skeptical, but here we go...

1) If it really hadn't been worked on, and it only took five days to implement... why hadn't it been worked on, KNOWING that this is a make-or-break deal for AW faithful?

2) If it had been worked on and was so near completion, why not delay the launch until it was ready?

In either scenario, I can only come to the conclusion that it was a management-level decision (likely above Kris or any other mod) that -- obviously -- backfired terribly, forcing them to implement it.

Anyone from IB care to comment? I want specifics. Every response we've gotten thus far has been incredibly vague -- or non-existent.
To be honest - technically we were of the understanding that it was impossible.
We had invested substantial resources attempting to replicate kawf 100% (threaded forum view, threaded thread view), with each of our implementations crashing all of the hardware we could install.
This is what occured with our initial installation about 8 months ago, and also in all of our trials of the site (one of the issues with Kawf is we had no way of accurately measuring traffic on the site, and we substantially over-estimated the load on our hardware when testing vB).

When the site went live and we have been monitoring it since, we discovered that we could enable these features (due to substantially less load than anticipated), but more importantly we were also able to do so in a manner that was not as "intrusive" to the core vbulletin programming as the other trials we had run (allowing us to still be able to upgrade to newer versions of vbulletin as they become available, which was considered a massive drawback with the "hybrid" vbulletin we had originally created).
Old 03-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Joey T

So since the core membership left, you don't have as much traffic.

Suprise!
Old 03-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

OR <puts on tin hat> this was planned from the get-go, to show everyone how bad it could be.
You know, like if I'm selling a car for $10,000 and you ask how much I want.
I say, "$50k"
You are shocked.
So when I then say, "Just kidding, only $10k." It sounds cheap.
If I had hit you with the $10k number up front, it would have sounded higher.

Good plan, but the QW site was probably a surprise.

<takes off tin hat>

Regardless, I am happy with the changes, and will eagerly watch to see what else happens. Not sure how I feel about abandoning QW, but I have a long history here. I'm definitely sure I can't PW on two forums.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks Jason... I just think that the decisions IB made about the initial roll-out were terrible.

If there was a question about it sustaining the load... tell members that. Roll it out anyway, maybe in a beta form side-by-side existing KAWF. Yes, that's a lot of work but the payoff would have been worth it. If it crashes, it crashes and everyone can see first-hand that you tried and it just didn't work out. At least make it known that IB *is* trying to make us happy. People wouldn't have been so quick to abandon ship, and the level of hostility would have been drastically reduced.

Instead, it came across like "oh well, it didn't work. tough luck. here's vB in all its glory!"

All that being said, QA needs a better manager or something, because estimated load can be simulated... and with the 8 months IB/AW had to really put kawf/vB hybrids into effect, I'm sure this could have been discovered, causing everyone a lot less heartache -- and fewer headahces.

Hindsight is 20/20, of course, but this was just a complete disaster.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks Adrian. See my response to JET above.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Heh, that's for sure.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only answer I can give you based on the information I have at my level is that IB is listening to the community very closely. They obviously are not oblivious to what is going on and despite the many knocks people have leveled against them they have a vested interest in keeping the community happy.

How can that be Jason? I mean if they were listening very closely they wouldn't have made the transition without threaded view to begin with. It's not like most of the long term invested users hadn't voiced their concerns.

Quick Reply: This has to be asked... while the new threaded forum-level view is huge