Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

Can someone please explain why vB is better than KAWF

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

riiiiiiiiiiiight. If 70% of internet forums are vB, don't you think that *maybe* we've all seen them? I don't think there's anyone on AW who hasn't been over to AZ and vice-versa. Don't kid yourself.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I guarantee that the time and engineering effort invested into making vB look like KAWF could have been better spent adding such "features" to KAWF.

The bottom line is that IB cared more about making the lives of its forum admins easier (although I'm sure that's failed miserably) than appeasing the members of the forum themselves.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Expert

example PM: "hey I saw that you have XYZ part on your car what do you think about it?"

wouldn't that be information that is better shared with everyone?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wut?

Originally Posted by four
the most glaring benefits to me:
* single-click access to see all threads in a forum...
Obviously it's more than a "single click" to see all threads in a forum if the number of threads exceeds the display limit for a given page. Are you deliberately misstating the facts or did this simply not occur to you?

* single-click access to see all replies to any given thread
The forums you visit must be very inactive if you can see all replies in a thread without clicking to another page. In fact, just the opposite of what you're saying is true. The vB "linear mode" format is exceedingly wasteful of screen space, with the result that threads with many posts can consume many pages, requiring click after click after click.

Where most responses are a single sentence, which is very often the case, Kawf's threaded topline viewing -- on the forum page itself, not within each thread as recently implemented as an option here -- wins here by a mile. For example, the classic "GIAC vs. APR" thread consumes 60 pages on vB in linear mode, using default display settings. Using topline threaded viewing in kawf, it consumed less than one page. Is any of this sinking in?

* PM ability
"Ability" is not synonymous with "useful functionality" and is in the eye of the beholder, i.e., a matter of opinion. I have no particular use for PMing.

* watched-topics feature to only view stuff you want to
You're saying that on a given forum (which other than Off-Topic is already subject-specific) you don't want to see or know about threads concerning topics that you have not pre-selected? I have zero interest in wearing blinders that way, and I suspect I am not alone in that.

vBulletin is versatile and can do everything kawf can
Can vBulletin do topline threaded views on the forum's main page, which is a basic feature of kawf? If it can, why doesn't it do that here? If it can't, do you concede that your statement is false?

the common complaint i seem to see is the "i don't want to read all the posts". frankly that sounds either lazy or inconsiderate to other posters.
This is a joke, right? You're saying that a user is "lazy or inconsiderate" for complaining about plainly inferior functionality that consumes more time, effort, clicks and scrolling? LOL. And this, after you just got done trying to praise what you believe is the superior "single click" efficiency of vB? LOL. One thing is clear: you have a high tolerance for embarrassing yourself with your own BS.

you DO realize you can scroll past their replies as quickly as you did on kawf, right?
No, you can't. Kawf is faster, which is just one of the reasons why it's better. IMHO of course. YMMV.

Last edited by RickM; 03-18-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HAudidoody (Jrsyboy)
Yes, you responded to the following comment directed at vB fans. You are a vB fan then, no?

"btw vB fans, I have 891 posts on AZ and 3,472 posts on passatworld. both vB forums."
Uh... no.

My point of reference was the claim that someone with a high post count equates to something better than someone with a low post count, ignoring the actual "join date." Whether I like one format over another was irrelevant. I go to forums for the people, not the format.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you go to forums for the people, why do you only have 148 posts in 7 years?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TwentyValveB5+S4
example PM: "hey I saw that you have XYZ part on your car what do you think about it?"

wouldn't that be information that is better shared with everyone?
Not in every case, no.

What if you wanted to plan something with a friend? You know, like meeting up for a beer? The whole forum doesn't need to see stuff like that (which is just one example). A PM feature is useful to have, even though 100% of the users may not take advantage of it.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ModifiedA4
For the USER:

vB: tons of features we dont use....PM'ing...blah blah.

I actually think PM'ing detracts from the quality of the forums. But thats a separate discussion.

For the ADMINS:

vB: a common platform across all IBs sites, administrators dont need special training to admin multiple sites, commonality...etc.

vB: is FAR superior to Kawf in IB's eyes.
exactly. its like if microsoft bought a web site that was running linux and switched it to windows server 2008. went from a free software (kawf) to one they license (vB). other than that, switching to vB is a completely terrible idea. who really wants three major audi forums that run vB?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HAudidoody (Jrsyboy)
If you go to forums for the people, why do you only have 148 posts in 7 years?
Are you seriously going to judge me based on my post count?
Why do you only have 7400 posts in 8 years? There are others with 4 times that number.
See how little sense that makes?

I didn't post a lot, but I did read. I usually found the information that I needed.
There are other forums that I visit, too. AW isn't/wasn't the center of the internet universe.
Are you satisfied with that answer or are you going to continue the pointless task of picking apart my forum stats?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think what they are referring to is the fact that Linear users may be responding to someone specific in a thread but if they do not "quote" that person then the Threaded viewers wont necessarily know who that person is responding to. OTOH, Linear viewers will most likely see "random" looking responses and they might have to discern what post the response is specifically to.

Last edited by Tekk; 03-18-2009 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Can someone please explain why vB is better than KAWF