Moving to Wiesbaden

Old 05-19-2012, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Wiesbaden

Hello Everyone,
I am moving to Wiesbaden in August. I have many questions about the area.
Is it possible to flash the us firmware to the euro firmware?
Is there any difference in the cost of repairs between Germany and US?
Does anyone has any experience with TUV cert and VAT form?
Thanks for your support!
GC
Old 06-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GarCo
Is it possible to flash the us firmware to the euro firmware?
What firmware are we talking about here? The GPS or the ECU? I know the RNS-E can be flashed, not sure about the MMI - but I'll be digging into that soon when I get my S5. For the ECU, there is an APR tuner in Berlin and one in Switzerland. The Swiss one is super expensive.

Is there any difference in the cost of repairs between Germany and US?
Euro to US Dollar conversion rate will apply. Also, all of the prices include the 19% VAT. That said, every repair/maintenance I've had done has been Dollar to Euro comparable.

Does anyone has any experience with TUV cert and VAT form?
Be more specific on the TUV cert - I'm not sure what you're asking... If you're asking if a US Spec car is OK to drive in Germany, then the answer is yes. No TUV involvement. The VAT form is for purchases up to 2500 Euro (over 2500 requires more paperwork). It will exempt your purchase from the 19% VAT in Germany, but only at vendors that participate in the VAT form system. VAT forms cost $5 each for up to 5 forms and $2 for every form above 5, but your max is 10 forms (if you bought 10 forms it would be $30 total). Most places won't bother with a VAT form on purchases below 100 Euro.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I've been at Ramstein for 3.5 years. Have a safe trip over the pond.

Drew
Old 07-19-2014, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why are you are you moving to Wiesbaden? Are you US military or Government? If you are civilian and moving to Germany things maybe a lot more complicated than drdrewusaf us suggesting. As military or government you are normally exempt from the German TÜV. If you are civilian and your vehicle will be registered with a German registration then you will probably need to replace the lighting and possibly some safety equipment. Some of the electrics / electronics may not be compatible. To be honest if this is the case and you are intending to move to Germany for an extended period of time ot maybe worth questioning if it would be better to sell your car in the US and buy another one here.