Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

My review of the HangUp Shop Vac

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My review of the HangUp Shop Vac

I forget who originally posted about this product, but he has my thanks. This is a really nice little unit.

Features: The "HangUp" comes in two models: 3.5 gal/3.0hp, and 5.0 gal/4.5hp. I got the latter (the "HangUp Pro") because it's only $6.70 more at mytoolstore.com. Both come with an 18' hose and a bunch of tools, a tool rack and a wall mounting bracket. Everything arrived in good order, well packed. It does dry and wet vacuuming. No blower.

Installation of the mounting bracket and tool rack was very easy using the supplied screws. But you need to find a stud in the wall because this sucker is kinda heavy, even empty. I mounted it on the rear wall of my 2-car garage, more or less in front of my car, with the hose outlet about waist high. The ideal spot would be exactly in the middle of that wall to allow for equal distance to both cars, but we have a door there. 18' of hose sounds like a lot until you need 20'. Fortunately you can detach the unit from the wall bracket in two seconds, and it has a carrying handle on the top making transport very easy. I already had a 25' reel extension cord installed on this same wall, so taking it off the wall for use when necessary is simple. If you intend to move it around you'll need some kind of extension cord, since the supplied power cord is only about 6' long (makes sense, since it's mostly intended for use while mounted on the wall).

I was a little concerned at first about hose storage. The <a href="http://www.mytoolstore.com/shopvac/9520263a.jpg">pic at mytoolstore.com</a> shows the hose coiled behind the unit, but if you notice, that unit is mounted on a horizontal 2x4 that pulls it away from the wall a bit. Well, even tho I mounted the bracket on dry wall (at a stud location), there is still room to coil the hose behind it, more or less as shown. Just enough. So you can leave the hose attached at all times, which really adds to the convenience of this thing.

Power: Excellent! For such a small unit it really SUCKS :-p. Way better than our house upright w/ hose extension. I've always used the crevice tool for every area of the car with the upright, to increase suction. No need with this unit. Very good suction.

Complaints: No complaints at all about performance (although I haven't yet used it for liquids). I love that this thing takes up NO room on the floor of the garage (don't know about yours, but my garage is already stuffed with crap and I had no room for a standard Shop Vac that would have to sit on the floor). But I do have one minor complaint: the "tool rack" is large enough to hold, say, the two extension wands and the crevice tool, but that's it. No room for anything else. So I have to store all the other pieces elsewhere. It would be nice to have a tool rack that holds all the tools. Minor complaint, but still....you get all these tools and then have nowhere to store them. But otherwise I'm a very satisfied customer.

Mytoolstore.com arranged for prompt delivery, and answered my email status inquiry very quickly when I asked about the UPS tracking number.

I can strongly recommend this unit to anyone who has a need for something like this.<ul><li><a href="http://www.mytoolstore.com/shopvac/hangup.html">HangUp Shop Vac</a></li></ul>
Old 09-05-2002, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 3.5 gal/3.0hp...love it! Get the power-head adapter...great for carpet &amp; mats
Old 09-05-2002, 08:29 AM

WOW! Sounds Great! Thanks for the info.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ric M, thanks for the writeup. Looks like a nice product. Let me ask you, does it have a...

blow feature (no jokes here). Some of the Shop Vac products (primarily the QSP quiet ones don't have this) have a feature where it can reverse the motor and blow air out. Great for blowing leaves out of the garage, etc. Does this have that feature??? Thanks.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Nope, no blower on this one.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks! I believe this is the earlier link to the accessories (for completeness)...

<A HREF="http://www.shopvac.com/dev/catalog/detail.asp?id=221">Shop-Vac, Accessories</A>
Old 09-06-2002, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. I just found another purchase for the new house.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the info man.
Old 09-08-2002, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have the 'Pro" version. Works great! - - - ->

It compliments my full size shop vac which is being dedicated to dust collection in my wood shop only to emerge when the job is too big for the 'Pro' which hasn't been often.

I also use it to vacuum water from tight spots after I wash the cars so I can move right to polish/wax without having water run out of every nook and cranny and ruin the detailing job. I do the grills, the window trim, the door jams, around the license plate (only have one) and the trunk, the headlight washer covers etc...

So true about having 18 feet of hose.

I even use it to vacuum the green flies that are so common here by the ocean...just before they start to bite...sssshhhhhtthhhppp! gone!

I highly recommend it as well!
Old 09-08-2002, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was eyeing your shop vac when we hung out last...

so I will definitely be purchasing one soon as we move. However, I'm not going to go with the hanging one as I don't have a regular one yet. The one I saw that I liked was 25 gal, 6 h.p. that also has a blower. It comes with an 8ft hose, but I'm going to buy another 8 ft and a connector, along with some crevice tools etc. Should work great at blowing the dust and dirt out of the garage, blowing leaves, as well as vacuuming the cars and other areas I'll need.

Quick Reply: My review of the HangUp Shop Vac