Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Care Care Shopping List... Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Care Care Shopping List... Need Help

I've had my 01.5 A4 1.8TMQS for a little over a month now, and have figured out that I am way too **** about this baby to continue to take it to a car wash as i've done with previous cars. Therefore, I need to stock up some high quality cleaning products, but need some help figuring what the best stuff is, and where I should get it all.

So, I figure I need some wash/soap, a sponge, chamois, towels, then some good wax and towels for that. I'll also want to get some good wheel and tire stuff, and something for the interior dash, etc. and leatherette seats. Other stuff?

I'd really appreciate some help!

Thanks in advance,

-Mike

2001.5 A4 1.8TMQS
Santorin Blue with Onyx Leatherette Interior
(Dirty and needing help)
Old 07-16-2001, 05:30 AM

Simple green should be on your list.....it is great
Old 07-16-2001, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few suggestions

Lamb's wool wash mit (don't use a sponge if you can help it, since it traps dirt and grit against the car as you wipe it, potentially scratching)
Meguire's pink wash gel or Sonax car wash (or any good, mild car wash liquid)
3M Imperial Hand Glaze, or One Grand Omega Glaze, for when you need to work on fine scratches, etc.
One Grand Blitz Wax
California Water Blade
100% cotton towel(s) to complete drying
100% cotton detailing cloths
Closed cell applicator pads for applying glaze and wax (Meguire's makes 'em, 4 to a pack)
P21S for safe (ph neutral) wheel cleaning

Popular wisdom also says don't use a genuine chamois, as it removes wax.

I don't use anything on my dash and other interior vinyls/plastics other than a damp cloth. I use a Swiffer cloth (in the supermarket) to pick up dust whenever it annoys me. Some people like Lexol Vinylex to shine things up a bit.

As for where to get this stuff: Some of it may be available at your local auto supply retailer. Otherwise try carcareonline.com, or autosupermart.com, or onegrand.com (for One Grand products only). Carcareonline.com also has some good articles, as does autopia-carcare.com. And for more (mostly high-end) products and tips check out griotsgarage.com.
Old 07-16-2001, 08:02 AM

don't forget a clay bar, even on new cars it makes a huge difference
Old 07-16-2001, 08:12 AM

Default Thanks RickM... Another question: the Water Sprite Plus synthetic chamois, any experience given...

the traditioal chamois isn't the way to go? The link below has some info and seems to indicate that it won't remove existing wax.

Also, I have ran across the Miracle Towel a few times in my search, it looks pretty good, (especially for maintaining a dust free interior), any thoughts?

Mike
2001.5 A4 1.8TMQS<ul><li><a href="http://properautocare.com/ws-04.html">http://properautocare.com/ws-04.html</a</li></ul>
Old 07-16-2001, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience...altho other people here have said good things about the Miracle Towel.
Old 07-16-2001, 10:49 AM

Default Just washed my 1-week old A4 for the 1st time . . .

I used P21s bodywork shampoo - great stuff. I also used the P21s wheel cleaner, and it was also outstanding. No such luck with the P21s drying towel (basically a synthetic chamois) - I wasn't impressed. It's too small and didn't really dry the car. I'm going to try a waterblade next week, maybe that will be better.

I'd stay AWAY from claybars while your car is new (see article on them at carcareonline.com). Also, Lexol Vinylex is recommended for dash to protect from UV rays, but it left my onyx dash a bit splotchy. I think perhaps I didn't use enough.
Old 07-16-2001, 06:14 PM
ssi

Default Miracle Towel is great...

I keep one in my car at all times. Works great for dusting the dash, cleaning the windows, quick detailing, etc... There are other micro fiber towels on the market but the Miracle Towel is the best imho.

I never use a Miracle Towel to dry the car although I understand many do. Imo the California Water Blade works great in combination with the P21S Drying Towel. I have also heard great things about the Water Bandit but have never personally used it.
Old 07-17-2001, 11:49 AM
ssi

Default Detailing Products...

A list of products that work well imo.

Tar & Bug: Eimann Fabrik (EF)
Car Wash: P21S or Sonax
Drying Towel: P21S or Water Bandit
Polish: Klasse AIO
Glaze: Klasse SG
Wax: Blitz or Pinnacle Souveran
Towel: Miracle Towel
Quick Detail: EF Clear Pearl or Pinnacle Crystal Mist
Vinyl: Lexol Vinylex or 303 Aerospace Protectant
Leather: Lexol Leather Cleaner & Conditioner
Wheel Cleaner: EF Hi-Intensity
Tires: EF Black Opal
Clear Plastic: Plexus
Windows: EF Clear Vision or Stoners

A good source for most of these products follows:<ul><li><a href="http://autopia-carcare.com">http://autopia-carcare.com</a</li></ul>
Old 07-17-2001, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Water softener to avoid spots... anyone know a good one?

Quick Reply: Care Care Shopping List... Need Help