Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

URGENT!...HELP!!...dealer car wash (solvent, wax )damaged finish!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts
Default URGENT!...HELP!!...dealer car wash (solvent, wax )damaged finish!

I took my Brilliant Black with excellent finish to the dealer for service and they ran it through the auto car wash. I just jumped in and drove away! When I arrived home the streaks with puddles on the hood caught my eye first. I tried to wipe with a wet towel and the started to wipe something around on the hood that looked slightly slimy! I couldn't remove it. I washed the car and noticed my car finish is dull, the dark gray plastic trim is now med gray without shine. My tires look stripped and sick. The wheels lost their shine. This car had one of the most brilliant crystal finishes before I took it there and forgot to tell them no washing as I always do.

I called the dealer the next day and talked to the kid that washed the car (they use an automatic car washing system). He said he just washed it normally. I asked if they use a liquid drying agent he said no. I asked if the car wash had waxing capability and he said yes but didn't use it and that if it was waxed it need to be rinsed off. I think he had the waxing system turned on and never rinsed! The car looks like it's coated in a haze and no chemical, rubbing compound, prepsol, WD40, mineral spirits, dishwashing liquid, wax remover, etc that I tried touches it!

I'm sick over this!

Does anyone know exactly what in the hell an automatic car wash can do to my car in this way? Does the waxing system inject the wax in extremely hot water? Does it bake on like this? Is it silicone? Anyone know how to remove the wax or silicone as normal automotive products like PrepSol doesn't touch it!

Any, any suggestions will be of great help!!
Old 11-09-2001, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the dealer not willing to accept responsibility ?
Old 11-09-2001, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Haven't persued that yet! Just wish to remove the coating and buff myself.....

If I take the car to them they will just try and buff it off and mess up the paint more. This coating is on the windows, the wipers, the tires, the wheels, the grill, my license plate...erveywhere!

I just trying to locate someone on the forum that just may know what this coating is and how to go about removing it!
Old 11-09-2001, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honestly, tell the dealer you want a full exterior detailling, should cost about 200.

Don't budge on it either. I don't let my dealership wash my car anymore either. I'd advise you to do the same.

-st
Old 11-10-2001, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm what you call a semi-pro home detailer....I use all the professional goodies....

This coating is just not coming off! Worse case the car need total repainting, all the following need to be replaced.....the moldings, the frint grill, the lower grills, all the glass, the wheels, the tires....this is ridiculous!!!

Someone here must know what happened??? Is is a wax like coating, is it silicone, I've searched the NET and they talk about a clear coat protector that's dispensed at some atuowashes. Did it react with my Meguair Medalion Premium Paint Protection???
Old 11-10-2001, 06:55 AM
Rest In Peace

Default What I know about the first 3 stages of some auto washes . . .

This car wash in Sacramento where I was doing some computer work had a multi arch system. The guy said the first arch is a cool down arch, straight water. The next two were a bit more dangerous if not calibrated properly. The two arches were referred to as the "bond breaker" arches where the car was subjected to a high ph and then a low ph acid bath to help break the bond of the dirt on the paint. He told me of stories where the mixtures were to acidic or concentrated and actually etched paint. He also mentioned if there was a power failure after the bond breaker arches you need to get in there immediately and wash that stuff off or else you could damage the paint seriously. This was a modern "no touch" type car wash with some 8 or 9 stages.
Old 11-10-2001, 06:58 AM
Rest In Peace

Default You have to find out whether it was deposited or is a reaction of the paint itself . . .

was there any construction going on around there?
Old 11-10-2001, 07:56 AM

Try washing with DAWN Dishwashing liquid--should remove everything down to the paint.
Old 11-10-2001, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is what you do. Call the service manager and ask him who he has detail their cars.

Take it to that guy and ask him for his opinion (which I'm sure will be your car is fu*ked!) Then call the service manager and inform him of his own expert's opinion and ask him what he's going to do about it. I wouldn't accept anything less than a new car if the detailer informs you that he cannot get your car back to 100% of its original quality. I had a similar experience with swirl marks and the dealership was getting prepared to give me a factory repaint before this insane detailer actually fixed the finish to about 90% - which was good enough for me. Don't give in though, you would easily win this battle in court if it comes to that!

-st
Old 11-10-2001, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Dawn didn't touch it!

Quick Reply: URGENT!...HELP!!...dealer car wash (solvent, wax )damaged finish!