Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Urgent Questions....Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent Questions....Please Help

Been using the polish clear coast finish with Caranuba...Mothers Brand..good results... Comments.?
Can you give a hand wax to a brand new car or must you wait a month or two?
Old 11-05-2001, 08:53 AM

Default I don't see any reason why you can't wax a new car

as long as its done properly, and it wasn't freshly painted.

Just make sure the paint is very clean before you wax it.

If its new, you might want to use a clay bar on it. This is what Zaino Bros say about new cars & clay baring.

"*Rail dust- is actually tiny, sharp bare metal shavings that can adhere and imbed in the paint finish and cause serious damage when left untreated. Over 70% of new vehicles are transported from the factory using the rail system, therefore rail dust is present on new vehicles. There are many instances where a vehicle travels or is parked near a railroad in which case the finish is infected with rail dust."
Old 11-05-2001, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

most dealers usually wax it for you, so thats one reason
Old 11-05-2001, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My dealer did a lousy job on our wagon when it was new.

It wasn't until I got it home on delivery day, and saw it from a certain angle in the garage, that I noticed that our brand-new brilliant black A6 wagon was covered in swirl marks and fine scratches. Jeeezus! Whoever prepped that car didn't know WTF he was doing. Ever since then I've basically been convinced that most people can't possibly do any worse damage than some dealers do to car finishes. I still go to this dealer for service, but when I drop off the car I always give this instruction: Don't Wash it!
Old 11-05-2001, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: My dealer did a lousy job on our wagon when it was new.

My car is full of swirl marks, but they did wax it. Just improperly. Wax was still on the car and lasted about 2 1/2 months, but they really did a job with the marks. In about 2 1/2 months when it's getting close to re-wax time I'm gonna go at it with some 3M Swirl Remover and hope that helps.

Aside from the swirl marks, the guys on my dealers lot do a nice job. My car was kept pretty nice considering that it sat on the lots for about 8 months before I bought it from them.
Old 11-05-2001, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think some reccomend letting the car "breathe"... not sure if this

argment holds water though.

-st
Old 11-05-2001, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had the exact same problem. I don't let them wash it anymore either. In fact,

they were on the verge of giving me a factory repaint until this awesome detailer fixed it.

-st
Old 11-05-2001, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE 3M swirl remover, it is HIGHLY abrasive.

I tried it on a small area of my paint, and the result was terrible. It looked a 1000 times worse. Be very careful, becuase it will 1. remove clearcoat 2. might put such deep swirls in the paint that they cannot be removed.

-st
Old 11-05-2001, 06:05 PM

Default Personal experience...only real concern is soft paint getting scratched

I hear those saying the paint needs to cure before waxing. Bah.

I waxed my '01 shortly after receiving it with Griots Best of Show. The cars finish was and remains spectacular. Ask anyone who has seen the car.

The real concern is that this new paint is VERY soft and easy to scratch for along time after it is delivered to you. Keep that in mind when applying wax. Do not use any polish for a while as even the finest will do more harm than good until the paint hardens up which can take months. Use soft cotton to buff the wax off, turn often and be sure your buffing cloth contains NO polyester thread (common in the edge stitching even if the towel or diaper is "all cotton"). Polyester scratches.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:23 PM

Default I have had good luck with the 3M SMR

As long as you are careful, and apply it correctly and work slowly it has done pretty well.

Remember that two light passes is much better than one heavy pass.

Also work in a back and forth motion, not in circles. Work it into the paint with a clean applicator pad, buff off with a microfiber towel before it dries.

My paint needed 3-4 coats for moderate swirls, 5 for deeper swirls and scratches.

Quick Reply: Urgent Questions....Please Help