Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

light scratches on santorin. . please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default light scratches on santorin. . please help

i am noticing more and more light scratches on my santorin. i can only see them from certain angles, but they really bother me.

i have tried imperial hand glaze as well as finesse it II for dark colors, but that doesn't seem to be working.

I even bought a cyclo random orbital to apply the glaze, but still no luck.

what would be the next step in getting rid of these. the scratches seem really light, but nothing seems to take them out?

i definately don't want to damage the paint, but there has to be something a little stronger to try.

Thanks,
rodney
Old 09-13-2001, 07:21 PM

Default is it down to the primer?

If so, you need to use touch up paint. You should be able to get some from your audi dealership. Car Care Online has a good article on how to apply it.

If its the clearcoat.. then you probably need something alittle more than IMG. IMG is a temporary sollution, it has a filler that masks the scratches. Try an actual polish, or take it to a professional detailer.
Old 09-18-2001, 02:52 PM
Former Vendor

If IHG isn't doing it, try some Meguiars Fine Cut Cleaner.
Old 10-09-2001, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default At AJ's Auto Detailing...

They have been washing my car since it was new, a nemo blue that shows fine scratches easily. They use the right materials: pure water, mit, synthetic chamois, microfiber towels. They do a great job and I recommend them. But, small fine scratches appeared after each wash (possibly even from normal driving?).

Yesterday, they waxed it again (second time in 4 months), and the scratches essentially disappeared. No polish was necessary, even though I offered to pay for it.

It may be that you are doing overkill. Minimal contact with the paint and clear coat is your first defense. The second is using the best materials. Lastly, use the minimum treatment to solve your problem. Only polish if wax alone doesn't fix your scratches. And, only polish now and then, so you don't take off clear coat.

Consider using a professional. I take my car to AJ's every two weeks for a pricey wash ('mini-detail'), but worth it. I tried to wash it myself, but ended up making it worse; I added more scratches in that one wash than AJ's caused in 6 washes.

AJ's wax job looks as good as any I can recall seeing in person by all the do-it-yourselfers here on Audiworld, with as-good or almost-as-good luster compared to the best, plus they left fewer scratches, marrs, smears, and the like. They also don't steal suff from your car (I leave everything in it, cash, electronic toys, and all), and they don't even listen to your radio. They even offered to fix a scratch in my interior, even though they didn't think they could have caused it.

See Laurie or Albert (the one who manages the technicians) if you have detailed questions. (408) 947-1111, 702 Coleman Ave (at Taylor) in San José. Tell them Stoney at Audiworld sent you... that way we will get best treatment because they know we are all referring our friends.