Any have RCN for TV/Internet/etc. I am looking a reasonable alternative

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any have RCN for TV/Internet/etc. I am looking a reasonable alternative

for bunched TV/internet. Comcast can go suck it.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

cost not bad?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had them for 2 years, not bad, but not great, but internet service was fine
Old 03-26-2008, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i do. i think they're fine.. it'll be better when they expand their HD channel lineup in a month

no real problems. i pay about $65/month for internet and cable + HD channels.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My building is only wired for RCN, so it's not by choice, but no major complaints...

The problems from the last year have almost all been resolved, and customer service can be spotty. They always "try" but don't always "fix".

The HD DVR boxes had some crap software on it that would lock up 90% of the time you used On-Demand or the DVR function, apparently it has been resolved, but I couldn't take it anymore and went with Tivo about 8 months ago...no regrets. Expanded HD is already available in some parts of the city of Chicago. It is much improved, but getting it up and running was a bit of a pain, mostly due to the fact that I have cable cards now installed with the Tivo box. It is an all digital signal now, which imporves the quality of the basic lineup. The new expanded HDTV has been superb. SpeedHD is supposed to be in the works...the channel is up, but still no signal to it yet.

Internet has been no complaints at all.

Also, I must be on the gang-rape plan because I am paying close to $125 for HDTV, two cable cards and internet service. No phone. I tried to haggle with them after my one year special, but they weren't having it since my building is RCN only...win for them.

312-955-2778 is the LOCAL inside number to LOCAL techs. I can't remember seeing the number published anywhere, so make sure to save it as it is of the utmost importance. Otherwise you will talking to people on the other side of the world that have zero clue what is going on...basically a lot of wasted time.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would try to find another alternative

-billing statements that are purposely formated to confuse you. (In general I dislike companies that bill mid period and the service use period never match up, they won't pro-rate in any fashion.)

-lots of small print all over the place, i.g, if there is a problem with service and you request a tech to come out, its 90 dollars or something if its not "their" fault.

-Incompetent CS, well that is if you can get them on the phone.

Anyway, its almost summer man!!
-You don't need cable (you should be outside working on an Audi)
-internet, well, thats what neighbors are for.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i didn't know expanded HD was already available in some areas

i called inquiring about it and they gave me an april 15th date that is delayed some unknown period of time. looks like may for me. i will try that local number you posted, though, and hope for better luck.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think my building was one of the first in the city to have the expanded HD...

We recieved all sorts of litter in the mail regarding the need to have a box on all tvs to ensure reception of the new signal. The first week was a nightmare trying to get my cable cards to work properly...plus I had to reset my Tivo box every few days so that the new menus would push through.

Made a few calls to the 1-800 number which got me nowhere. The people I was conversing with on the other side of the planet had no idea that they had a new channel line-up in some areas. It didn't help that they barely spoke enough english to be able to refresh the signal.

The local people have been a whole lot more helpful in every way.

New HD lineup is much improved as well. And you can add all the HD movie channels separately now(including HBO) without having to pay for the lower tier digital movie channels. I barely watch anything but the HD lineup now, but the other channels are much improved now that they are in digital format (more in line with DirecTV quality).
Old 03-28-2008, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have RCN internet at the garage/office and I have been quite happy... 1.2mb/sec down is nice...