Unfortunately, Audi related...but that means nothing to the two women.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unfortunately, Audi related...but that means nothing to the two women.

Hopefully no one on this board, b/c you (they) really f'd up.

Everyone, take it easy.<ul><li><a href="http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/264421">The Star</a></li></ul>
Old 10-07-2007, 05:08 AM

Default yeah I read that this morning...

when are people going to learn. Also proves the new law isn't going to stop the real idiots.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Seen that on the news

And with these kind of accidents still happening, the chances of the new powers that the OPP has is probably here to stay.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:38 AM

Default Hmm... a few thoughts...

First off, I feel badly for those two women and their families. They paid the ultimate price for the stupidity of others.

Police didn't lay the street racing charges because under the current definition of the law, they probably weren't "street racing". Two guys being idiots and showing off to one another doesn't cut it. It wasn't reported much, but those two drivers who killed a couple on their aniversary night in Richmond Hill a while back where found not guilty of that charge last week.

If the government was seriously going after street racers, this new law was not the way to go. They should have broadened the definition of street racing to include what these idiots were doing, and amped up the penalties. Instead they've got everyone eyeing their speedos nevously while passing on those two laners, when their eyes should be on the road.

225 cars have been impounded in one week? That works out to a yearly average of 11,700. Only 2,500 were charged with exceeding the speed limit by 50km/h in all of last year. Do I sense a bit of over zealousness? Hmm, maybe. Is the power going to their heads? You bet it is. Are our roads safer? You be the judge.

While the fines may stay, I predict that the impounding/licence suspension powers will be taken away from police soon. They're not just messing with kids and their Hondas now. Sooner or later they're going to snag the wrong lawyer in his P car, and he's going to be pissed. The law as written won't stand up to scrutiny. Let's hope it comes sooner rather than later.

Koz.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default People intent on breaking the law, aren't going to be deterred by laws. What this tells me is that

there is a shortage of tracks where folks can cheaply get rid of the pent up desire to go fast or prove something to someone else. Once there is a cheap, easy, and legal outlet for speed contests, then you take away any remaining credability or justification.

I know that after a weekend on the track, my desire to go fast amongst a bunch of people who aren't on the same page with me diving-wise, is just not there.

As koz4.2 says, sooner or later they are going to nab somebody who may be going fast, but not under conditions that might be a threat to anyone else, and that person and their buddies are going to pull all the fangs from the system.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default As I said below; the law, any law, does not make for safer roads...

only better education and, as April notes, other outlets for the wanna be racer.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Hmm... a few thoughts...

&gt;It wasn't reported much, but those two drivers who killed a couple on their aniversary night in Richmond Hill a while back where found not guilty of that charge last week.

I was reading in Toronto Sun, both drivers got huge fines, driver's licence suspention and hours of community work. What is main fact behind collision is that killed driver had DOUBLE over legal alhocol level in his blood. While driving drunk after aniversary celebration he did wrong judgent while turning left for incoming traffic.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:33 PM

Default According to reports...

"The judge in the case said Rodrigues and Gasparro were not street racing, but speeding. The pair was not intoxicated and did not run a red light at the intersection where the crash occurred, court heard."

In order to be "street racing" there must be some sort of agreement between the parties involved. As far as the law is concerned, they weren't street racing. The judge's hands were tied. The only reason they were reprimanded the way they were is because people were killed. This just sends the message out that, as long as you don't kill anyone, you'll get off relatively easy.

As the article said "We hear evidence of two young men speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, showing off to each other, driving aggressively. To anybody else that is the definition of street racing". The new law should have broadened the definition of "street racing" to include this type of behaviour. Instead, it goes after speeders. Not the same thing. You don't have to be going 50km/hr over the speed limit in order to be dangerous.

The government just threw out a big net, hoping to catch the so called "street racers" along with everyone else. They were being lazy. And, greedy.

Koz.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070822/street_racers_071003/20071003?hub=Canada">Click for the article...</a></li></ul>
Old 10-08-2007, 06:12 AM

Default WHAT?????

over zealousness??????
you must be kidding me... i am surprised that there were not more impounded cars.... cops messing up with kids in their hondas? sure, there will be exceptions and mistakes, but those that drive 50+ should bear all the consequences... and yes, i did it myself, many times, so i am not a saint.. but i knew i was breaking the law and if caught, i would not squeal foul like you probably would..

the joke is that people are not convicted for killing other on the road, like kids in Richmond HIll - rich probably, top notch expensive lawyers etc... that makes me sick... until our legal system pick up the slack - everything else is a joke...

but messing with kids in hondas.. give me a break... if they break law in their supped up, cut off springs and potato thrower exhausts - they should pay for it like everyone else...
Old 10-08-2007, 08:41 AM

Default My turn....

You don't think they're being overzealous? They're stopping more than four times as many cars now (for the same offences) as before the law came into effect. Do you think the new law has caused more people to speed? I don't. Cops have now been given the opportunity to be judge, jury and executioner, and they love it. There's a saying about absolute power. If I was caught doing 50 over two weeks ago, I'd take my lumps and be done with it. Today, I'd be pissed. I challenge you to find anyone who wouldn't.

Read my posts! The situation in Richmond Hill had nothing to do with "top notch expensive lawyers". They were trying to convict them of "street racing", and according to the law as it was writen, they were not guilty of that crime. Instead of re-writing the law to include their actions under the street racing umbrella, they wrote this piece of crap. 50 over is not street racing. If I hit 132 kph when passing a semi on a two lane highway, do I deserve to loose my car and licence. To be stranded on the side of the road. Personally, I don't like to be in the on-comming lane any longer than I have to. You, can take your time. Just not when I'm comming the other way.

"but messing with kids in hondas.. give me a break... if they break law in their supped up, cut off springs and potato thrower exhausts - they should pay for it like everyone else..." What the hell does that mean? Pay for what? Their cut off springs? Their after market exhausts? Are you saying we're paying for it, but they're not? If you're going to argue with me, be a little clearer...

Koz.

Quick Reply: Unfortunately, Audi related...but that means nothing to the two women.