Toronto people: E.R.A.S.E.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toronto people: E.R.A.S.E.

Just to let you Toronto area people know about project E.R.A.S.E. - Eliminating Racing on all Streets Everwhere. Joint project between York, Toronto OPP and the MTO. They have a smog squad specifically looking for certain modifications to cars that affects emissions and this group was trained over the winter.

Looks like highway 7 was targetted last night along with the ever popular Woodbine and 16. Cars pulled over everywhere from Mustangs to Subarus, even cops within Commerce Gateway (another big hangout place).
Old 06-06-2004, 07:43 AM

Default I don't get it.....

so they look for tampering with cats? Different exhaust gas components from things like turbos, bored out internals, etc? I don't see how that is related to anything....?

You don't need a modded car to race. And you don't have to race if you have a modded car. This is stupid IMO.

Aman
Old 06-06-2004, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agree with you

It's like stereotyping that anybody that has an aftermarket exhaust or whatever is part of the illegal street racing. Cripes, you DON'T NEED to be modified... just look at the kids last week that were racing each other on Adelaide in their mom's Civic.

They need to change their approach in getting people off the streets and onto a drag strip or whatever. Emissions is just an excuse for them in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree, I heard about their program to combat racing, but

I thought is just setting up more speed traps and more patrol cars all over the GTA. Didn't think they were specifically trained to look for modifications and etc.

So does that mean you could be driving perfectly legal and still get pulled over simply on "suspicions of mods"?

And yes, I do see speed traps almost daily around the Woodbine/16 area.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:29 AM

Re: I totally agree as well.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The OPP is stupid, they have been doing the same thing for years...

The OPP has had these projects for years (all that changes is the name, PACER, ERASE, etc) and the scene has not changed, if anything it's gotten bigger.

I completely agree that mods don't mean street racer, but because they don't have half a brain this is all the look out for.

They have to think of something new to get kids onto a track. If they had put more of there resources to building a track somewhere within Toronto, and kept the track open well into the nights, you would see a lot less racing.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:49 AM

Default this is true. PACER is no longer affiliated with the police however

The pacer program was originally linked to the police but run externally. They bulit the PACER civic cop car than many people here in the GTA may have seen. Then the PACER people built a turbo or supercharged s2000 and the police weren't having it. They severed ties with PACER under the reasoning that buliding up the engine of the s2k was promoting, and not discouraging street racing. PACER now operates as a seperate entity in itself and continues to promote safe driving and taking your car to the track if you wish to race it.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:53 AM

Default Solution: build a track in GTA. Probability: never. The Future: more street racing...

I don't get why they don't get it. What's the cost of all this policing?
Old 06-07-2004, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Right, never will get one built in Toronto

I think they were looking at this, or at least discussing, and the problem is that all of the residents near the area would petition against it because of the noise primarily and unwanted traffic.

Think they should build something in the industrial area in Brampton or something at least... if it gets kids off the street then why not?