New powers with OPP

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New powers with OPP

So it seems to be true now. As of this Sunday, if the cops find that you have been either:

1 - driving 50km/h over the speed limit
2 - dangerous driving (ie.: street racing, weaving in and out of traffic, etc.)
3 - new ban on NOS

License will be suspended for seven days, car taken for seven days also, and a fine (max fine increases).<ul><li><a href="http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15223.aspx">http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_15223.aspx</a</li></ul>
Old 09-28-2007, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok...so who here is going to test it out?...Week 1 will be scapegoat week for sure.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default interesting, a couple of thoughts

first, #2 appears to be more subjective out of the three. it could be cop's call, which is never a good option. what if you disagree? how can you argue that without setting up a court date 8 months down the road?

second, this bit was interesting in the article: "And anyone caught making an early left at a light will receive a rude awakening from an officer." What does this mean? When lights turn green and someone makes a left turn before the oncoming traffic? Hmm.. I've done that once or twice myself, but not dangerously.

third, blood alcohol level. i don't advocate drinking and driving, but in this life, you can't always do that - there are plenty of social outings/occasions where you have a drink or two and then drive. which should be fine as long as you're below 0.05 It used to be that if you are impaired, or if your alcohol level is 0.08 you will get suspension, but is it now decreasing to 0.05? again, take emotion out of this, let's just talk pure numbers.

fourth, nitrous-oxide. i thought it was illegal all along to have a connected system, now they're making it illegal... was it legal before? that made no sense to me, anyone care to fill in?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How about getting Valentine One ?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:47 AM

Default good thing the OPP that I saw while in the R8...

didn't use his new "powers" on me...Audi would have been upset to have their press car in the pound for 7 days! i wont mention the speeds involved, but I got the death stare of all death stares fromt Mr. Officer, I waived and agnowledged him while mouthing "sorry"...drove of and tried not to exceed the limit while he followed.
to my suprise he didnt even pull me over!

i feel a pain in my a$$...oh...thats a horseshoe!
Old 09-28-2007, 06:23 AM

I agree. Except with the "early left" comment... when is this acceptable?
Old 09-28-2007, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well I'm heading up north next weekend...
Old 09-28-2007, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Crap. I can't run NOS no more :-((
Old 09-28-2007, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Never was, people in rush would do this
Old 09-28-2007, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Okay, I know deaths due to accidents are bad and all but "Since 1999, there have been 35 deaths"???

Seems to be perfectly reasonable for 8 years.

Also:

"The changes are designed to cut down on the number of accidents on Ontario roads. So far this year, 340 people have died on OPP-patrolled routes and bad drivers in cars and trucks are equally to blame. Since the start of September, there have been 39 fatalities alone - 18 of them involving tractor trailers."

Since when does "bad driving" automatically equal speeding??? And 18 deaths due to accidents involving tractors trailers just in September? Perhaps we should pass a law restricting the use of public roads by tractor trailers to night time only. I bet that would actually decrease the number of accidents.

The key is driver education and tougher driving tests. Our test are a joke.

Idiots.

Quick Reply: New powers with OPP