Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

TT RS sfront brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TT RS sfront brake problem

I purchased TTRS this past fall as CPO from Audi dealer in Colorado. I noticed vibration when applying brakes but was not too bad at first but now is horrible. Took to dealer and they say front rotors warped and show sign of over heating so won't cover under warranty. I suspect the previous owner had the car on track but only speculation. I haven't done the type of driving that could over heat the brakes.

Audi and Dealer (Dealer wouldn't even call me back) won't do anything and so I would caution anyone purchasing a CPO from Audi to get your mechanic to look car over before you just take Audi's word that all is fine. I would not buy another CPO. I did save some money over new car but not worth the aggravation I am having.

I have seen comment that the Front brakes are not well designed and over heat with a few laps around a track.

Question-

Should I replace with the same TT RS brakes or switch to something else. Not sure what might fit here.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Despite the many claims, i have never seen a warped audi brake rotor, and i track my S6 avant. I have seen pad deposits that cause a puseation so many times i have lost count.

1. make sure your calipers are sliding properly
2. if you do hgih temp driving, use appropriate pads that dont easily melt

Rinse and repeat.

Grant
Old 04-02-2014, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Aftermarket brakes

Originally Posted by Tim Allen
I purchased TTRS this past fall as CPO from Audi dealer in Colorado. I noticed vibration when applying brakes but was not too bad at first but now is horrible. Took to dealer and they say front rotors warped and show sign of over heating so won't cover under warranty. I suspect the previous owner had the car on track but only speculation. I haven't done the type of driving that could over heat the brakes.

Audi and Dealer (Dealer wouldn't even call me back) won't do anything and so I would caution anyone purchasing a CPO from Audi to get your mechanic to look car over before you just take Audi's word that all is fine. I would not buy another CPO. I did save some money over new car but not worth the aggravation I am having.

I have seen comment that the Front brakes are not well designed and over heat with a few laps around a track.

Question-

Should I replace with the same TT RS brakes or switch to something else. Not sure what might fit here.

Thanks in advance for any help.
U should try Tarox or Loba disk . They are plug and play, plus they are lighter and better. They have higher tensile strength . Hope that would help
Old 07-18-2014, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I got my TTRS brakes fixed. The Rotors were in fact warped. I took it to a guy who works on high end cars and race cars. he machined the rotors and works fine now. Much much cheaper at $120. compared to the 1,800. at the Audi dealership in KC, MO that said I needed to completely replace the front brake rotors and pads.

I would advise anyone buying a CPO vehicle to not really tryst the CPO certification. I would also be wary of buying from McDonald Audi in Littleton CO as they would not even talk to me or return my phone calls regarding the problem. I guess their opinion is once the car is out the door it is not their problem.

I learned a lesson here.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recommend Stoptech rotors.

Whatever brands you buy just don't buy from the dealer. Last week I took my Q7 to the dealer to replace rotor and pads. I thought they were covered by the Audi care but I was wrong. End up I had to pay $1800 for a pair of pads/rotors. ($1200 for the parts and $600 for the labor) I should have bought the EBC yellowstuff pads and stoptech rotors with better quality and less price than the OEM's.

Last edited by Tudigon; 09-08-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I just wonder how do you guys know that some rotors are much better than others, especially OEM rotors?
Old 10-03-2014, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

how did he determine it was warped?

Curious to see the answer.

"machining made it go away" is not an answer.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Personally, i think most of it is BS. Drilled is bling that's a holdover from the days of off-gassing asbestos materials that would otherwise have a Bernoulli effect. Today it looks cool, and leads to cracks.

Slots are better, no cracking, unclear that they are needed.

Size of course matter in competition where heat absorption must be large. Bt large also means heavy, whcih is bad.

Quality - in terms of materials, machining, and consistency is hard to figure out without experience. OEM and OEM suppliers are often best. Some good ones are Zimmerman, Balo, Textar, abd Brembo. I ordered two stoptech rotors, they were made in China, and were machined incorrectly so they did not even fit (hat hit the hub and would not sit flat). So much for "better aftermarket parts".

Some swear by cryo-treating rotors. I can't say.

The only reason most need more braking is race-track work, and then its not braking power, its heat capacity. The simplest route is higher temperature pads and fluid. Stoptech makes very nice hgih temp brake pads (series 309), and ate, stoptech, motul and others make fluid that is good for >> 500 degF and even >> 600 deg F.

Grant
Old 10-08-2014, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Only been driving for a few weeks with them. Seems like they stop much better with Brake Pads pads than my OEM rotors and much less vibration when braking at freeway speeds. Luk Schaffer is the way to go for your Audi Allroad Quattro.

Originally Posted by Just Me
Personally, i think most of it is BS. Drilled is bling that's a holdover from the days of off-gassing asbestos materials that would otherwise have a Bernoulli effect. Today it looks cool, and leads to cracks.

Slots are better, no cracking, unclear that they are needed.

Size of course matter in competition where heat absorption must be large. Bt large also means heavy, whcih is bad.

Quality - in terms of materials, machining, and consistency is hard to figure out without experience. OEM and OEM suppliers are often best. Some good ones are Zimmerman, Balo, Textar, abd Brembo. I ordered two stoptech rotors, they were made in China, and were machined incorrectly so they did not even fit (hat hit the hub and would not sit flat). So much for "better aftermarket parts".

Some swear by cryo-treating rotors. I can't say.

The only reason most need more braking is race-track work, and then its not braking power, its heat capacity. The simplest route is higher temperature pads and fluid. Stoptech makes very nice hgih temp brake pads (series 309), and ate, stoptech, motul and others make fluid that is good for >> 500 degF and even >> 600 deg F.

Grant