Brakes Discussion Discussion forum regarding brake tuning, upgrades and questions

esp nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 01:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default esp nightmare

i have a 2002 audi a6 3.0 quattro and have been having this esp nightmare lately. the esp light would intermitently blink and after a short while sometimes stay on while im driving. to reset it i would have to turn the car off then back on again. what i did also notice is that when i would go over slight bumps on the road the esp light would also flash. on to the scary part...also when im driving and press on the brakes to slow down or to come to a complete stop, when i press on the brake pedal it would sometimes feel like the brakes are slipping and the brake pedal would go further down than my foot was actually pressing on it and would make a low growl/grinding sound (if that makes sense, kinda hard to explain). Second...at different speeds ranging from 15 to 60+ mph ive noticed a few times that my car would feel like a fast skid/short hard jerk while pulling to the right making that same growl/grinding sound. i would then have to lift my foot off the gas pedal. being that this is happening at speeds of 60+ mph it is very terrifying! i have had the right front axle and all brakes/rotors fixed as needed for routine repairs. dont think the repairs had anything to do with the issues because it was happening prior to repairs. just seems like its getting worse...PLEASE HELP ;(
Old 06-24-2013, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i Would start be checking the ABS sensors in each wheel hub. It sounds like one is failing or due to position, somehow out of calibration. Step #2 would be an ABS/ESP controller. Have you checked for codes?

Grant
Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default esp nightmare

Originally Posted by Just Me
i Would start be checking the ABS sensors in each wheel hub. It sounds like one is failing or due to position, somehow out of calibration. Step #2 would be an ABS/ESP controller. Have you checked for codes?

Grant

I have replaced both the front abs sensors and the problem still persists. I have not tried to replace the abs/esp controller yet...is that the same thing as the abs module? I also have checked for codes when the esp light has come on on its own but seems like the mechanic that I went to had no idea what he was doing as I left without any questions answered. ;(
Old 08-26-2013, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Get yourself a code reader, preferably a vag-com

Grant