Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

polished and waxed..now have white stuff on black trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polished and waxed..now have white stuff on black trim

i got white paste on the window moldings and my washer nozzles are all white...what do i do?
Old 09-17-2002, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't get so excited about how good your car looks!!!

LOL, but seriously, what wax did you use, Turtlewax? None of the premium waxes loved here (Blitz, P21, Meguiars GC, Souveran) leave residue on the trim.

As for fixing the problem you've got now, get a good vinyl cleaner like Harly, 303 or Vinylex for the trim and a sewing needle is your best bet for cleaning out the wiper nozzles.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:56 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Agreed, but he also needs to be more careful about how he applies the wax.

If he got it all over the place, then he was most likely careless in applying the product. A little time and effort would have limited the amount of clean up he's going to have to do.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I used Meguiar 3 step, first the polish (step2) then the wax (step 3)

Where do i get Harly, 303 or Vinylex.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.properautocare.com">Classic Motoring</a></li></ul>
Old 09-17-2002, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yep, could've saved a lot of trouble, but I've never been TOO neat, because I knew

I didn't have to be, using a quality wax.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:25 AM

Default tell me more about how u apply the wax plz...

i waxed my integra before with turtle wax, it sticks to everywhere i dont want them to be
my car was black, and it made the chipped pieces green, also the door handle, trims and stuff...

now i dont want to mess with my audi...
tell me more how will u do it, i think i m gonna get meguiars, coz they dont have others in canada...

plz tell me procedures...like get the wax off, then wax it and stuff...
Old 09-17-2002, 12:18 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default It's all about coloring inside the lines...

It's common sense mostly.

First, start with a quality wax that won't turn white and crusty when applied to plastic. Blitz and P21S are both known because they easily wipe off from surfaces they shouldn't be applied to.

Second, don't apply wax where you don't want it. I use foam yellow applicators (commonly available at my local autoparts stores). I cut them in such a way that I have a smallish applicator that fits neatly in my hand. I cut angles into the applicator, so I can work it into tight spaces, and so I can work the wax in a clean line right up to the black trim. It's kind of like painting. A slow steady hand and a good brush will allow you to apply the paint perfectly.

Third, don't apply too much wax, because you'll just have to buff it off later. The paint is only capable of holding onto a very small amount of wax. A trick I have used over and again is spraying water onto the wax applicator. Just enough water to keep it damp, but not dripping. The water helps to disperse the wax on the paint evenly and thinly. (though, with the P21s, I don't find any need to use the water method...it spreadly thinly and evenly all by itself)

Fourth, use quality buffing towels to remove the wax. I find quality microfiber towels are like dust magnets. They have an enormous capacity to buff wax off the paint, and the wax dust sticks to these cloths like a magnet. You can get quality microfiber clothes from various online sources. I like www.griotsgarage.com, however their towels do lint a little. I've recently started using the buffing clothes from www.microfibertech.com (buy the best ones they have, not the lower grade ones). I usually begin buffing with a quality terry towel to get most of the wax off the paint, and then I follow with the microfiber to buff it to a nice shine, and remove all the little wax tidbits lying around.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I also do bulk removal with terry, followed by a final buff/polish with microfiber.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One Grand ERV (External Rubber and Vinyl Cleaner). Also, a better quality wax won't do that in the

future.

Quick Reply: polished and waxed..now have white stuff on black trim