Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Okay NorCal Detailing question.. Frustrated

Old 07-11-2002, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Okay NorCal Detailing question.. Frustrated

So I don't have all the fancy chemicals you all have, I have some Meguires deep cleaner x2, some finish first (liquid tech) products (like em!). The car looks good, don't get me wrong. BUT! IT is not as smooth as I would like.. You can't see anything but when you run your hand over the paint, it's smooth then a bump, smooth and a bump. There is obviously more in my paint that I need to get out.. Are there proper ways to do it without an orbital buffer? (Is this something I should buy and not be afraid of or not necessary?)...

on Cactus I have done the cleaner a few times, waxed it several times, used different waxes, one that I got from MoBrazen etc. Looks good, but It's not perfectly smooth nor have I gotten rid of the dealer brought on hair scratches.

First thing is getting my paint as clean as possible (very smooth, no bumps), second is to get rid of the fine scratches..

Now Atlas has no scratches (no dealers!), but the paint is not smooth either, it's better when I clean, paint clean and wax but not smooth enough).. I'm serious and could use some assistance from you all or someone in NorCal that really understands this stuff..

Thanks and sorry for my detailing post being so long....

Tory
Old 07-11-2002, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default ok...

if you want to smooth your paint you will want to clay bar before you do anything else. This should get it very very smooth. Then follow up with a polish/swirl remover (a generic Mothers/Meguiars should work here), then 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. Top it off with a good carnuba wax like Blitz or Meguiar's Gold Class (NOT a cleaner wax, this will just undo the last two steps). That's the process most people here would approve of.

Now, personally, I take a different route. After clay bar, if your swirling isn't horrible, go right to Imperial Hand Glaze (otherwise do the polish too). Put two or three coats of Zaino Z5 over that and top it off with two coats of Zaino Z2. This is obviously more labor intensive, but my paint has NEVER been as smooth or glossy as it has with Zaino.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to wash before I claybar, I'm no expert.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:44 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I second what Chup said!

The clay bar will remove all the little bumps you mention. Search the forum for proper technique/use of clay bars (you can pick up a Mother's clay bar kit at your local pep boys). Once you get the paint smooth, it's up to you what wax process you choose to use. If you already have something you're happy with, use it.

A product that may come in handy for swirl remover is 3M Swirl Remover. You'll get better results using a machine (random orbital polisher) than by hand, but certainly try it out by hand and see how the finish turns out. No reason to spend money on a polisher if you don't need it/want it.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ClayMagic claybar. plus what everyone else said more or less

Available on-line or at an AutoZone (not sure if there's any in the S.Bay). Make sure you use a lot of lube as too much is better than too little.

wash -> clay -> (wash?) -> IHG/polish/etc -> wax/protectant
Old 07-12-2002, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, I find the extra dirt acts as a smoothing abrasive

Old 07-12-2002, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Thanks guys, the clay bar was what I was thinking due to feedback.

Will check local pep boyz or order it.. PAint looks good, just not where I want it yet!!! Post pics of before and after, bet you won't be able to tell the difference though, unless you can touch my babies thru the pic!

Thanks again

Tory
Old 07-12-2002, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Consider professional detail. I recommend AJ's in San Jose...

They've also done a great job with water spots.
<A HREF="https://forums.audiworld.com/detail/msgs/1764.phtml">My message: AJ's Auto Detailing...</A>
<A HREF="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/113249.phtml">Pics after AJ's (San Jose Detailer) polish job on hood straches</a>
Old 07-12-2002, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Okay noticed something else, DUST, Lots of dust

So I park my car tonight, after only detailing it early part of the week, shine is great but it's dusty as hell. Is there a better product that doesn't attract the dust as much? W0w mad dust!

I also got some 3m adhesive, tar, etc.etc. spray on remover stuff. Worked good on my hood, darn smooth, but I'm also trying Meguiars X to remove the swirls etc too.. Every day it seems I'm buying something else to wash, treat the cars with.. I can see how this can be addicting, but damn the car looks nice, but what about that DUST!!

Thanks
Old 07-12-2002, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Buy yourself a CA Car Duster

It's cut my summer wash frequency by 2/3rds

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Okay NorCal Detailing question.. Frustrated