Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Full Zaino detail this weekend. I need a little help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Zaino detail this weekend. I need a little help!

I have a few questions for the pros out there:

I bought the Zaino Full Protection Kit. I am going to start with a Dawn wash, followed by clay, then Z7 wash. Regarding clay, what do I do for a lube. I thought about filling a bucked with Z7 and water, and just using a wash mit to soap the area. Some say using a spray bottle with soap is best, others a lube, and other this. What is the most effective.

I'm concerned about clay because my friend destoryed his new Jet Black 325i with Zaino clay. He put mad swirls, fine scratches, orange peels, etc in his 3 day old car. (Used spray bottle with Z7/Water) I want to avoid that at all costs. Should I use Z7 as a lube? Are there any inexpensive spray detailers that I can go pick up? (AutoZone or Meijer?)

Will the ZPC-Fusion remove the etching made by bird crap? (Happened at dealership!) How do I go about doing this? And for the interior, will Z10 "Leather in a Bottle" serve as a good dash, door panel, and seat protectant?

I am totally new to detailing, and I need some help. If you can help me out with some tips and techniques for appilying Zaino, that would be greatly appreciated! Pics are to come.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've used meg's quick detail spray with no problems.

As far as your friend's experience I'm stumped. I've never produced swirls using clay and I have to wonder how clean the surface was to start and what process your friend used to do his car. I'm also wondering if he had any contaminants in the clay (like maybe it was dropped and it picked up some sand/dirt).

For Zaino techniques it's best to follow the procedures they lay out in the faq on their site.

After your wash and clay, do a Z-6 wipedown. Then start with ZFX enabled Z2Pro or Z5. 2 ounces of sealant (I know, they call this stuff "polish" but it isn't) should be all you need.

Give a light mist of Z6 on the applicator before applying for the first time, and put it on THIN. Let it sit until dry (do a finger test and see if you get streaking when rubbing it off, this is an indication that it isn't dry yet).

Wipe off with a quality MF and then do a Z-6 wipedown again.

Repeat 2 more times.

If you're really **** you could apply a few more coats the next day, again with ZFX (ZFX is supposedly needed only when you want to put multiple layers on in a single day). You could also do Z5 first and then Z2Pro the next day. After a few coats though there really isn't much difference IMO.

Basically when I started using Zaino early this year I thought it was going to be hard because it sounded so complicated. I'm thankful I did it though because all it really taught me was that attention to detail and proper process makes a TON of difference. I was able to achieve a look I never was before with this product and I owe it to the process, not the product itself. I have no doubt that I can get great results now with other things and I'll likely try them in the future (got my eye on the Prima line from Detailers Paradise as well as the Menzerna sealants that Mirror Works has been making look so good).

Enjoy your detailing weekend!
Old 10-12-2006, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

lol at your friend claying a 3 day old bimmer!
Old 10-12-2006, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

putting orange peel in, after the car has been cleared is not possible
Old 10-12-2006, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

why would you clay a 3 day old car? that is nonsense
Old 10-12-2006, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I used the zaino car soap as the lubicant for the clay with good success.

However, you probably should wash the car again with dawn after you clay. I recall having some residual clay / smears that the dawn removed. Just remember not to drop the clay bar. It will pick up dirt/ debri and scratch the hell out of the paint. Also, remember to continue to "massage" the clay so you are folding all the dirt your taking out of the clay back into the clay so you have a "clean" clay surface to work with. I clayed a black car and didn't notice any scratching. Clay won't scratch, but lack of lubrication and debri will.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If car was shipped via railroad.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:29 PM

Thanks for your help guys! I'll be extra careful! (My friend clayed because Sal specifically said so
Old 10-12-2006, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

do you really think that is the reason this person clayed?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:38 PM

My friend called Sal, and he said its an absolute must! He most definately regrets it!

Quick Reply: Full Zaino detail this weekend. I need a little help!