Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Best DIY solution for killing mold in trunk

Old 12-02-2011, 07:50 AM
THC
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best DIY solution for killing mold in trunk

I've got a nine year old A4 with a mold problem in the trunk. A large amount of water spilled a few months ago that we didn't know about and serious mold developed. We threw away the floor liner which had the worst of it, but I'm sure it's on the side panels as well and probably on the back of the rear seats as well. It's to the point where even the interior cabin of the car smells a little bit funky, although I think the smell is coming entirely from the trunk.

I know the safest best would be to tear out as much of the fabric as we can, but I'd like to try topically treating them first. My plan is to find the best anti-mold product I can, spray the hell out of the trunk, then take it to a detailing shop and have them extract all the moisture that they can. Does this sound like a plan? And if so, what product do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2011, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

In terms of car related things that scare me, mold is one of the worst. Remediaton is difficult, and if you don't get 100% of it, it just comes back. It really isn't safe to be working around it without proper precautions.

Is there any way you can remove all the soft materials and throw them away? The source must be removed to correct the problem.

If you are dealing with hard surfaces only, the task is greatly simplified. Heck, even Lysol will handle mold plus lots of other stuff you probably have sitting under your kitchen sink.

Microban seems to be the product the professionals reach for. I suspect you could find it at a janatorial supply, maybe Home Depot, etc...

Be careful.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:30 AM
THC
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Microban seems like it's worth a try. I was also considering buying some Borax laundry detergent or even buying some boric acid to mix with hydrogen peroxide - google searches led me to those solutions. Has anyone here tried going that route?

And I really want to try doing as much as I can without removing more material from the trunk. The floor panel is what got sopping wet and most penetrated, and I threw that out. I'm hoping that a thorough cleaning with a chemical designed to kill mold spores, followed by a doubling down on my part to keep the trunk DRY in the furure will do the trick. We'll see...
Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something like this will not correct the problem, but may help in the interim:

http://www.spacesavers.com/Storage/F...t-Dehumidifier

have seen stuff like this at home depot, etc...

good luck - that's bad stuff !!!