Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

New car-light scratch

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car-light scratch

Looking for advice for the following:

1- I must have ended up with something in my wash mitt while washing my new A4. I have several light scratches on the hood (one line about 10 inches in length and several small lines about 4 inches in length), which are only visible if you tip your head at the right angle in the right light. What product / process would folks recommend to fix these?

2- What do most folks do to keep their cars clean who live in winter climates? We just dropped below freezing, and I am not quite dedicated enough to hand wash in the ice Wait til spring? Touchless (I assume the soap in touchless will take off my wax/ sealer?) soft touch ?

I really appreciate any help / guidance. My heart sank when I saw the scratches on my brand new Audi...
Old 11-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To add- At first I thought the scratch could be left over sealer and tried buffing them off with a micro fiber to no avail... If I run my fingers over the paint I cannot feel them- so they much really be on the surface.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most definitely something in your wash mit? are you careful with it? Time to throw it out and get a premium one.

Do you do the two bucket wash? if not you should start.

This kit will get this scratches out no problem. Just make sure you sign up for the forums first before you use them! I had a hairline scratch in my roof from the rear to the sunroof. I spent 1/2 hour working on it and it is completly gone. It was there when i took delivery and the dealer offered to remove it, i declined because i know what they do to cars i didnt even let them wash it.

How old is your car, is it new? it is possible that the dealer used a filler product that finally warn away with your last wash. Dealers are notorious for fillers.

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-430-a...g-pad-kit.aspx

They are on backorder but will be back soon from what i hear. They seriously work wonders. Make sure you get the polish too. Post a pic of the scratch, i can tell you which polish to purchase too. You dont want anything too abrasive if its just a hairline. No sense takeing away more clear coat then necessary.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the reply and the offer to take a look..

I tried to get a photo, though it was a bit tricky in the night garage lighting and it is difficult to see in the photo.

This scratch runs between the reflection of the light and the reflection of the bike. It runs in a single curve for about 10 inches.

There are several others I was not able to capture on my iphone camera that look more like slashes and are from 1" to 3" long.

Which product would you recommend? Do I need the orbital tools you linked to? Or for 2 or three scratches like this can I manually polish?

Appreciate your help.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh - to answer your other question- the car is a little over 1 month old..
Old 12-01-2011, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 08CW6MT
Oh - to answer your other question- the car is a little over 1 month old..
The focus pads go right on your drill, you have to make sure you keep the drill moving at all times slow enough to do the work but fast enough that you wont damage the paint by creating more heat. You should watch the videos and then join the forum before you use them. They are very easy to use and work wonders.

Those scratches look like it was definitely something in your wash pad but they look like they will buff out easily. If you can the next time you get a chance get a pic of it in the sun. Audis clear coat is notoriously hard (good for protection but makes it very easy to scratch) you will be there all day rubbing the scratches and turn out that your right arm will be larger then your left your going to need the pads.

I would do one quick pass with swirl and haze remover (orange pad)
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-97-ad...er-polish.aspx

then two passes with fine machine polish with the white pad see how they look and then possibly hitting it one more time.
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-140-a...ne-polish.aspx

that should take care of them.

www.adamsforums.com

Here is my inital post here, i have the pics of the before and after of the scratch in the roof. It is 100% gone. My pics really dont do the paint justice after i got it fixed up.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2813752

Im a detail/car care NUT. Ive used just about everything on the market and adams is by far the best i have ever used. They're customer service is amazing and have a 110% satisfaction guarentee
Old 12-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the help. I watched the videos - seems pretty simple. I'll give it a try once they are back in stock. I am a little nervous learning on my brand new car- but the videos add confidence.

Have you tried their waterless wash? Would that be a good winter wash strategy? I'm thinking I could spray the car with the water gun at the local car wash to get the big stuff off (snow, grit etc..) then return home and use the waterless... Thoughts? I don't want to scratch the paint and am a little worried I wouldn't get enough salt etc off with the water pressure wand at the local wash bay.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I really appreciate any help / guidance. My heart sank when I saw the scratches on my brand new Audi...
You can find ScratchX or Ultimate Compound, both by Meguiar's, for around $6 at Wallsmart. I would suggest applying by hand with a basic applicator if you are just dealing with small areas. You will find videos on Youtube describing the correction application of these products. They quite simple and straightforward to use. They'll easily relieve the condition.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
You can find ScratchX or Ultimate Compound, both by Meguiar's, for around $6 at Wallsmart. I would suggest applying by hand with a basic applicator if you are just dealing with small areas. You will find videos on Youtube describing the correction application of these products. They quite simple and straightforward to use. They'll easily relieve the condition.
Ahh, the reason why they "work" is because they are highly abrasive with fillers added to them. It may remove the scratch but in the process will leave behind severe marring once the fillers get washed away. They work well for a week or until you wash it. Ive fixed severe marring by those cheapo compounds before

Thanks for all the help. I watched the videos - seems pretty simple. I'll give it a try once they are back in stock. I am a little nervous learning on my brand new car- but the videos add confidence.

Have you tried their waterless wash? Would that be a good winter wash strategy? I'm thinking I could spray the car with the water gun at the local car wash to get the big stuff off (snow, grit etc..) then return home and use the waterless... Thoughts? I don't want to scratch the paint and am a little worried I wouldn't get enough salt etc off with the water pressure wand at the local wash bay.
Seriously, join the forums first to get the low down. They work wonders and are easy to use, however damage can occur properly. Others on there will chime in with tricks they have found. I know they like to "walk" a bit if the drill is to slow. I use a makita cordless drill, ive tried my dewalt but it doesn't seem to spin fast enough. The reason i like using cordless drills is they are a little more friendly. Electric drills have a very high RPM and turn them into a miniature rotatory buffer. Cordless is definitely the way to go.

As far as Waterless wash goes....Yes, ive used it and have it. The only time it should be used is if your car is parked in the garage and your trying to remove dust. It should never be used after the car has been rained on, driven on the road and especially salt otherwise minor swirling will occur

Alot of the guys will take there cars to the coin op through the winter and hose it down (NOT USING THE BRUSH) some will take their mits and buckets of premixed soap and give it a quick bath. You should know that the coin op washes, even touchless washes use extremely harsh soap and will strip the wax on your car over the winter. If this is how you want to clean your car through the miserable winter season then get a layer of sealant and a couple coats of wax on there. That will protect it enough before you can get your spring detail going.

Personally, im a nut and get out there freezing my tush off washing my car in the driveway in the dead of winter. As long as you have a good coat of wax and dont use their brushes then you will be fine. I still wouldnt hit it with waterless wash. Winter time is a hard time for us detail/clean car guys. Its almost impossible to keep our cars 100% clean but ive come to accept it

BTW: i would recommend tossing your mit, chances are what ever you picked up in there is still there even if you picked it out. This wash pad is Awesome, you cannot believe how soft it is also sent you a PM

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-628-a...wash-mitt.aspx
Old 12-02-2011, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by 3PedalMINI
Ahh, the reason why they "work" is because they are highly abrasive with fillers added to them. It may remove the scratch but in the process will leave behind severe marring once the fillers get washed away. They work well for a week or until you wash it. Ive fixed severe marring by those cheapo compounds before
Severe marring? Nah. Not with that product when applied by hand.

He'll learn when he watches the videos that he'll do intermediate wipe downs to remove any oils or fillers and be able to determine if the scratches are actually gone. He can then make a determination if he needs to finish off with another polish to remove any hazing. It's very simple and the UC product works quite well

Quick Reply: New car-light scratch