Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Ask Detailer's Domain

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 04:57 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pogodog
Hi, I have a brand new A6 that is 3 days old (built May '12 in Germany- got to USA in late June and sat ona lot for 3 months till I bought it). My question is that the dealer preped the cat nicely but now that I have it home and getting up close to all parts of the body, etc.- I noticed that the little narrow panels on the black plastic front grill has water spots on the plastic that I can't seem to rub away. I have tried vinegar with no results either. Any suggestions. Plus, your reccommendation on best way to protect/wax Phantom Black pearl effect body color. so it stays new over the years to come. Thanks Greg
answered email.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default so many products...

i've been lurking for months... finally have questions organized, and haven't seen a compilation of answers that fit what my questions are anywhere, hope you can help.

I had an '02 A6, struggled for years getting swirls out, etc... finally gave up.

now i have an s5, and i'd like to keep it nice. Here'r my questions:

1) what is difference between wheel wax, tire dressing, wheel cleaner etc...? what order are they used?

2) I don't have any tools really to clean my car... besides 2 buckets and meguiars car wash. I have a garden hose, can i get a foam system? is it worth it?

3) any chance you'll do a video of one of your projects? ie: this one is awesome: 1: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2832904 but wish it was in short video clips, showing what product you use on exterior, interior, what order etc...

4) once my car is clean (right now, just using 2 bucket car wash method) what do i put on to protect it and make it bead up for a long while...? wax (what brand?) polish? sealant? all three?! what order?

5) any links to vids of engine cleaning... I'd like to keep mine clean, and i'm gonna order (i think... unless you tell me something different) some adams all purpose for the job... but then what? lol.

thanks in advance!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Former Vendor

1) what is difference between wheel wax, tire dressing, wheel cleaner etc...? what order are they used?

you will want to clean your wheels and tires first -- > then dry them ---> then you can apply a wax or sealant on them. ----> finally dress your tires.

2) I don't have any tools really to clean my car... besides 2 buckets and meguiars car wash. I have a garden hose, can i get a foam system? is it worth it?

The Gilmour Foam Gun is an effective way to wash your car.

The purpose of a foam gun is to cover the vehicle in thick, rich suds in order to provide maximum lubrication and scratch protection. When you pre-soak with the Foamaster, the soap immediately begins loosening dirt and grime on the paint surface. The high ratio of soap to water plus the even distribution of the foam ensures the safest, scratch-free wash possible.

Gilmour Foam Gun Kit

3) any chance you'll do a video of one of your projects? ie: this one is awesome: 1: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2832904 but wish it was in short video clips, showing what product you use on exterior, interior, what order etc...

due to time constraints and no idea how to do videos they way I would like to present them probably not yet. but sooner than later we will need to ; )

4) once my car is clean (right now, just using 2 bucket car wash method) what do i put on to protect it and make it bead up for a long while...? wax (what brand?) polish? sealant? all three?! what order?

what is the current condition of your car and color?

5) any links to vids of engine cleaning... I'd like to keep mine clean, and i'm gonna order (i think... unless you tell me something different) some adams all purpose for the job... but then what? lol.

you can scroll down a bit for the video.

https://detailersdomain.com/Adams-Al...ner_p_111.html

Phil
Old 12-29-2012, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sticky Vinyl?

We had our 2001 BMW convertible detailed, and several of the vinyl surfaces are now shiny and sticky. What can I use to get the surfaces back to matt/smooth?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Former Vendor

can you show me a few photos of which parts?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Audi Clear Coat Question

Hi Phil,

I was wondering if you know whether Audi uses this "Ceramiclear" product in their painting process, specifically on 2013 models. From what I've been reading, it seems to be mainly used by MB but is used by other German brands as well. If all you can remove is 0.2 mils before it is compromised, I need to find out if I have that on my 2013 Q5 3.0T before I even think about doing any correction or polishing in the future. My paint code is LX5Q (Scuba Blue) and supposedly, only the codes which contain the letter "C" use Ceramiclear. Not too sure about that one. Any information you have will be greatly appreciated. Here's some info I found written by a Dr. Ghodoussi, a chemist at Optimum Car Care:

"After the "cerami"clear top coat is sprayed, the nano particles of Fumed Silica (SiO2), which are synthetically engineered, migrate to the top 0.2 mils of the clear coat as it is curing.
If you remove this portion of the clear layer of paint, the paint under it will be much softer and will not polish out or react the same way the nano particle portion did or would.
You will at some level have compromised the finish on the car".

Thanks,
Old 12-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Former Vendor

I about 99% sure its not a ceramic clear.

You can polish it out etc.

What polishes do you have and which machine do you plan on using?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by detailersdomain
I about 99% sure its not a ceramic clear.

You can polish it out etc.

What polishes do you have and which machine do you plan on using?
Thanks, that's good news! I am currently using several Menzerna products to remove defects: Super Intensive Polish PO83, Super Finish "Nano" P106FA, PO85RD Polish and occasionally PO115C glaze. Really good stuff IMO. I use either my P.C. 7424 or FLEX XC3401 with various pads depending on what I'm doing.

Z
Old 12-30-2012, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by detailersdomain
can you show me a few photos of which parts?
Phil,
It's at our vacation place, so I can't post photos. The steering wheel center and door above the ashtray are the worst.

Thanks,
Evan
Old 12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by HZ60
Thanks, that's good news! I am currently using several Menzerna products to remove defects: Super Intensive Polish PO83, Super Finish "Nano" P106FA, PO85RD Polish and occasionally PO115C glaze. Really good stuff IMO. I use either my P.C. 7424 or FLEX XC3401 with various pads depending on what I'm doing.

Z
Z you should be okay with what you have.

if you need more cut than the SI1500 pick up Menzerna FG 400.

Quick Reply: Ask Detailer's Domain