Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Ask Detailer's Domain

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an S5 cabriolet and a few scuffs on my "Aluminum" mirrors (ABS Plastic) and "Aluminum" Windshield frame. I think the frame is actually metal, unlike the side mirrors. What products would work to polish out the scuffs? They're not scratches, more like something rough just rubbed across them but are unfortunately quite easy to see in contrast to the rest of the shiny finish.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Former Vendor

do you have a picture?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Learning to Detail--repost from A7 General Forum

Repost from general forum:

I've resigned myself (ok, so you folks have convinced me), that I'm going to need to take a more active role in washing/waxing my soon-to-arrive A7.

So as not to dive right in on my new baby, I figured I'd practice on my other cars that are in need of some TLC.

First up is an always-garaged, but slightly abused grocery-getter. It's a 1996 Infiniti I30 with more than its share of door paint transfer, shopping cart dings, etc.

I've got a 2-bucket grit-guard wash kit on its way, with ONR (in case it's raining--not that it ever does in Portland). I also have some Meguiars car-wash solution (supposedly the gentle, no-wax-strip kind). I have a Griot's Garage car care kit on its way with Speed Shine, clay, Machine Polish 3, Sealant, and Best of Show wax. Oh, and also some Sonax for the wheels.

I figured I'd start with the wheels, then ONR to clean and strip any sealant/wax, then spot treat the paint transfers, followed by clay, Machine Polish 3, sealant, and wax.

Is there anything else I should be trying? Are these the right products for the new car, or should I be looking at other stuff? If the Machine Polish 3 is too gentle, what would be my next step up (Maguiar's 105? Can I just use the Griot's 6" orange pads with 105 or should I get 5" pads, and if so, what kind?)

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 AM
Former Vendor

answered on the original post.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Phil,

I am going to be compounding/polishing then waxing and using Blacklight sealant on my moonlight blue A7 soon. I have Meg's ultimate compound and polish as well as wax. There are a few random light swirls and small scratches on the hood from the dealer's "detail" prior to delivery. The finish is obviously in very good condition being so new, should I use the polish first and see how it fares with the imperfections before using the ultimate compound or is safe to go right to the compound first? Thank You.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2013 A4 velvet beige leather

What is the best protection then cleaner conditioners I can use. I read a lot on stain transfer on lighter leathers
Old 05-27-2012, 06:02 AM
Former Vendor

sure for denim stain removal you can use LM Super Remover ---> LM Soft Cleaner ---> LM Protection Cream.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey guys,

I have an 06 A3, and I bought this car used.

The paint is pretty thrashed, and I plan to correct most of the paint. My big problem is that there is a stone chip on the passenger side rear door.

My question is, is there a good way to repair that. Preferrably without getting the door skin repainted.

Thanks,

Ryan
Old 08-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Former Vendor

Ryan thanks for the question your best bet is to pick up some touch up paint.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by detailersdomain
Ryan thanks for the question your best bet is to pick up some touch up paint.
Hi, I have a brand new A6 that is 3 days old (built May '12 in Germany- got to USA in late June and sat ona lot for 3 months till I bought it). My question is that the dealer preped the cat nicely but now that I have it home and getting up close to all parts of the body, etc.- I noticed that the little narrow panels on the black plastic front grill has water spots on the plastic that I can't seem to rub away. I have tried vinegar with no results either. Any suggestions. Plus, your reccommendation on best way to protect/wax Phantom Black pearl effect body color. so it stays new over the years to come. Thanks Greg

Quick Reply: Ask Detailer's Domain