Sponsored by:

Lessons learned with updating firmware on icelink

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 07:42 AM
GPZ
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lessons learned with updating firmware on icelink

I was able to successfully install an icelink last night on my Concert I head unit (Contrary to what FinishPride believes, it installed fairly easily, except that there really is very little space behind the single DIN head unit. The Icelink controller slips nicely behind the climate control unit.

I didn't buy the Panavise. I carefully measured, then made my own mounting bracket out of a small piece of sheet metal I bought from the hardware store for $1.50. (Its a nailing strip or huricane clip, whatever you want to call it, it is made to hammer onto wood to reinforce it. My mount turned out perfectly, after I painted it with flat black paint.

Anyway, here is where I was thrown for a loop: My eBay icelink came with version 2.10 of the firmware. So I downloaded the newest, v.2.17, and followed the excellent instructions that Southboroaudiguy has on the tech resources. I went to load the new firmware, and at first nothing happened, then I was able to get it to start loading the update after a couple more tries. But then what kept happening to me is that the headunit would stop playing the CD player after it was done with CD 1, track 99, and turn on the radio.

It took me a couple more tries that I needed to turn off the RDS button.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hmmm.....

VERY interesting that you were able to link "track 99" behvior oddities (which I've DEFINITELY observed) to the RDS button. Will have to try that out.

Glad the install went well and kudos on doing the custom mounting bracket (need PICs!!)
Old 02-09-2007, 11:37 AM
GPZ
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I was on a roll when I fabbed it, and didn't stop to take any pics...

You know, originally I wanted to install it in the center console armrest, but I couldn't find an extension cable that would work...no good Mac stores around, and I pretty much live 2 weeks from anywhere (Oh Brother Where Art Though).

I can shoot a shot of the completed work, and one with the cradle removed from the mount. I'll also see if I can't make a drawing of the dimensions and better instructions and post that if I get some time.

I also want to reiterate that installing the Icelink with a U.S. spec Concert I head unit and climate control is easily done. Anyone want to break the news to Finish Pride?