Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius PNP install using shark-fin antenna? Help!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius PNP install using shark-fin antenna? Help!?

First off, I've searched, but can't find exactly what I'm looking for... I'm a very novice installer.

I got a Sirius Sportster w/ 1-year service as a gift. I'd like to install it in my B7 Avant but use the shark fin antenna instead of the car-kit antenna. All my research so far says that it shouldn't be too hard to do (I just need to pick up an adapter and I probablly wouldn't be able to use the Terrestial connection). But, I've run into a problem right away... I can't locate the antenna leads... Actually, I can't even get the cover off the cubby hole and I don't wan't to force it.

I've removed the "main" panel cover on the drivers side in the trunk/hatch and there's what seems to be an empty black box bolted in place. There's a cover on the front which seems like it should be easy to remove (there are two slots on the the bottom). I just can't seem to get this cover off though. Aren't the antenna leads in here???

I know this is probably a silly question, but any "expert" tips and help is super appreciated!

Thanks
Old 11-04-2005, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default you need an antenna "combiner" not a "splitter" (from crutchfield)...

from my previous research, these are hard to find...and you need to get them directly from a Sirius rep (search siriusbackstage.com).

If I were you, I'd use the supplied antenna and use trial and error to see where it works best (if you install it inside the car - front dash or rear avant side shelf area etc.)....before running the wires. Everyone's Sirius reception by geography will vary.

Good luck!
-ted

PS: While on this topic, if you have a B7 A4, then your car is probably comes with the OEM SAT prep. Why not just spend the $300 on a Sirius tuner...and save yourself the hassle. Are you concerned with having to "re-gift" that Sirius Sportstet to someone else? Maybe you can still use the prepaid service with your OEM sirius tuner...shouldn't be a problem. This is a very easy install....do a search for more details.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the tips...

I pretty much gathered that info already (from your posts actually!). The reason I don't want to spend $300 I didn't particularly want Sat. Radio in the first place (otherwise I would have had it installed when I bought the car). Since this is free with pre-paid service, I might as well take advantage. Also, the plan is that I'll leave it in my wife's Avant most of the time (she has a long commute and I drive to the train), and then move the PNP unit to my car when we go places or take trips on weekends.

Have you had any luck removing that panel I referred to?
Old 11-04-2005, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't have that panel in my 2001 A6 Avant...consult the B6/B7 folks.