Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple hack to add direct audio input of your iPod to your Concert or Symphony Radio

Old 04-14-2004, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple hack to add direct audio input of your iPod to your Concert or Symphony Radio

I recently bought an iPod and wanted a cheap easy way to play it through my Audi radio. I have tried the FM modulators, and while they do a fair job, they still are very temperamental, and the audio quality is marginal at best. I did not want to spend $200 for the ICE or Blitzsafe solutions, so I came up with something that has the same audio quality as ICE or Blitzsafe. The soluton uses an RCA to mini-stereo jack cable that costs about $4-7 depending on where you get it, and the creation of an audio CD that has one track of "quiet" on it. The idea is that you use the audio inputs from the CD changer into your radio, while fooling the CD changer into telling the radio that it is playing a CD.

Here is what I did:

1. Take the audio cable, and cut off the RCA jacks.
2. Solder the ground wires together, and make a little straight piece of soldered pigtail .
3. Take the L & R center leads of the cable, and also make 2 pigtails with solder. You should have 3 little pins now that are about 1/4" long.

4. Pull out your radio using removal keys. (these can be purchased from your Audi dealer, or a stereo store)
5. On the back the top connector is where we are going to put this cable. There are 3 parts to the connector, a blue, green, and yellow part. On the blue part, the 3 pins that are to the furtherest left column (pins 19-top, 18 middle, and 20 bottom) are where we are going to stick out pigtail. The right signal pigtail, goes into pin 20, (red) the bottom pin. The ground goes into Pin 18, (brown) the middle pin, and the left signal pigtail goes into pin 19 (white) the top pin. Use a plastic tie strap to hold the audio cable from coming loose. Don't remove any of the wires that are already in the connector, just jumper to them.

6. Route the audio cable through the back of the console and out, along the side of the console to wherever you will have your iPod.
7. Plug the cable into your iPod, and now it is wired to play through the Radio when you have the CD changer selected.

8. Now from your computer, record an audio file with a few seconds of silence. (you have to figure out how to do this with your system. There are many applications that will let you do this.)
9. Take that track and burn it to an audio CD.
10. Take that CD, and put it in the changer.
11. When that CD is selected, the changer will play that track over and over, giving you silence.
12. Turn on your iPod and enjoy your music.

Enjoy!
Old 04-14-2004, 02:53 PM

pictures/drawing?
Old 04-15-2004, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Simple hack to add direct audio input of your iPod to your Concert or Symphony Radio

Will this work with a 2004 headunit which has 6 disk in-dash changer?

Sounds very cool.