Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
vSee related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

SD Card and MMI

Old 04-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two Comments:

-Be sure to end each line in CR followed by LF (I show those below but obviously they're invisible).
-Set up your relative path.

Here's my example:
#EXTINF: 345,Grover Washington Jr. - Just Enough<cr><lf>
../Jazz/Grover Washington Jr./Then And Now/Just Enough.mp3<cr><lf>
Old 04-10-2014, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ITUNES MUSIC ONTO SD CARD AND THEN INTO S4
I bought a 16GB SanDisk SD card today. I went into iTunes and clicked and dragged a playlist of tunes (about 1000 songs) over to the SD card and then took the SD card and uploaded into my 2011 S4 jukebox. Took 15 minutes to upload but was a breeze otherwise.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by stevemac00
I use 64GB but formatted with FAT16. Currently about 45GB filled with 7000 songs.
So there isn't a limit to 32 GB? Hmm...I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazydog
AFAIK the largest SD card you can use is the 32G.
I have used a 64GB card with no problem
Old 04-20-2014, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by fkaufman
I have used a 64GB card with no problem
My 2014 Q5 did NOT recognize my SanDisk 64 GB card.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This m3u procedure works great on my '12 A3 with one slight imperfection: live music compilations still have a second of silence between each song. Is there a way to create m3u playlists to eliminate the pause between songs, i.e. like a live/concert album? Thanks in advance.

-ms
Old 05-30-2014, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think that has anything to do with playlists. Even playing back single albums have slight mutes between tracks (though not as long as a second in my case). It seems the MP3 playback software in the car just doesn't support gapless playback.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to remove the gaps them just create one large mp3.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by teddyoh
Well thanks for all the great help out there! Good to see a thread that the original poster is the only one to respond!

Here's what future MMI users need to do to get playlists to work:

1) Realize that user playlists DO NOT WORK on the Jukebox.

2) Copy the source .mp3 files to the SD drive using the SAME FILE STRUCTURE as on your computer. As an example, I let iTunes organize my library. So a song will have the following path...

C:\Music\U2\Joshua Tree\With or Without You.mp3

When you copy this to your SD card, realize it will be organized by MMI for searching by file structure. I copied the artist folders over in one big batch onto a 32gb SD card. I did not copy the whole Music folder to avoid a subfolder issue and allow for easier artist browsing on the SD card (also I have more music than a 32gb card would hold, so I selected the artists that were on playlists that I use). The file will now have this path assuming your SD card is drive S:

S:\U2\Joshua Tree\with or Without You.mp3

3) Using iTunes (or whatever music program you use), export the playlists as .m3u files to the root directory of your SD card.

4) Open Windows Notepad. Open a playlist file. They are text files, so any text editor should do. Each song on the playlist will be listed in order. Each will also have the full, original path from iTunes. Use the Replace tool in Notepad to eliminate the original location. In the example I gave above:

Replace: C:\Music\
With: \

This will point the playlist file to the correct folder on the SD card. If you use Replace All, you can change the locations of the entire playlist with one click. Great for larger playlists!

5) Save the modified playlist file.

That's it! Insert the SD card into the Audi MMI, and your playlists will play INSTANTLY (after the standard MMI initialization when you start the car) without any playlist loading delays.

I am the smartest man alive!
Great post and good job! Wife will be happy in her 2011 a4 avant now! I've been using an app called PLAYLIST EXPORT on my Mac from app store, think there is one as well for windows. It does everything you mentioned in one shot once set up properly so no need to use notepad to edit paths. I have no affiliation.

http://www.ericdaugherty.com/apps/playlistexport/
Old 07-11-2014, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mkestan
This m3u procedure works great on my '12 A3 with one slight imperfection: live music compilations still have a second of silence between each song. Is there a way to create m3u playlists to eliminate the pause between songs, i.e. like a live/concert album? Thanks in advance.

-ms
Not possible ... Unlike your computer's media player which pre-loads playlist tracks, the Audi MMI loads them only after the previous track has finished.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SD Card and MMI