Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last attempt at fixing my audio problems...just want to make sure im not doing something stupid

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last attempt at fixing my audio problems...just want to make sure im not doing something stupid

Ok...I have been searching here as well as elsewhere again....my dc offset and alternator whine are driving me insane. Even though they are not incredibly evident...I still feel horrible each time I hear them.

Well in my search I came up with some "concepts"..just gonna list some
-ground loop isolator (idea...maybe...herd doesnt work)
-ground rcas (I read alittle https://forums.audiworld.com/audio/msgs/48513.phtml)...but still lost)
-galvanized frame specific ground spots (it was in old post...not sure what its about)
-ground HU (prob most likely problem)

I have tryed to test things...
-when i installed my amp i made sure it was grounding properly(with voltmeter...from + on bat to the actual grounding point(long extension on voltmeter))
-rcas are twisted pair and shielded (dont really know how they can be messed with)
-checked back of radio...again(everything is screwed to radio to ground)

What I plan to do when I have time...
-I am going to get a 12awg wire(not sure if this is good enough...hoping) and put 2 plugs on the end. I am then going to connect one end to the H U ground point (on top of what is there) and attach the end to another grounding point behind the HU. I still have to find that grounding point.

Well this is gonna be my last try...when i get to it
Hoping for the best

Any comments welcome...do you think it will work?

If this does not work...I will mostlikely be searching the yellowpages for a good audio shop...of course I will review when done...only good things come from audiworld (found great indy shop near me through C5 forum)
Old 10-22-2006, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default some hints for you

first find the source of your whine. is it your head unit or amp? turn off your head unit. do you still get alt whine? if yes then its your amp. if no then its your head unit.

dont use a ground loop isolator. waste of time and money. just fix the root of your problem.

if its your amp, check and double check your amp power and grounds. make sure your ground point is clean and has no paint on it.

if you still have noise, do you happen to have another amp that you know works properly? toss a 2nd amp in there to see if you still get ground noise. if you do, its probably your wire. if you dont then maybe something in your amp internally is busted.

if its your wire, try grounding the rcas. if this works then you have found your problem. ground the rca if you want or if u want to be more "pure" then replace your rcas.

if its in the head unit, ground your head unit again. try to ground it to a metal bolt within 18 inches of the head unit. shorter the better.

hope this helps you fix your problem.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:33 AM

Default 2 thoughts . . .

1. replace rca temporarily, just stretch over the seat. it's not unusual to put a screw through an rca while installing

2. try a ground loop isolator (flame suit on) they do work and while you are trying to fix your ground loop it will eliminate the whine.

try rca before ground loop isolator their function is to eliminate ground loops not shorts

good luck let us know
Old 10-23-2006, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default did some tests

I did the amp test...
first the way you suggested...no whine
then the way avincar had suggested a while ago...unpluged remote and pluged it back in (no pops)
The amp is brand new and was grounded correctly.
I dont have another amp to try

How can I ground my rcas?

I think I will be regrounding my HU...will my wire idea work?
Old 10-23-2006, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default then your problem is definately at your head unit. reground head unit better

you dont need to find another amp to try.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

hopefully i will have time this weekend and I will do just that.