Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key remote access not working, Audi denying warranty claim ('22 A5 SB)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Key remote access not working, Audi denying warranty claim ('22 A5 SB)

TL;DR - Remote key system is not working. Audi is denying the warranty claim because I installed a subwoofer and amp.

=====

2022 A5 Sportback w/ B&O stereo

A couple months ago I started getting "Remote not Found" errors with both keys, to the point that it would error with the fob sitting right over the antenna in front of the cupholder. I also noticed the fob battery was draining quickly (dead in a week), but the error even occurs with fresh batteries.

I took the car to one dealer, who replaced one of the keys (even though both keys were having problems). The next day I got the errors again.

I took the car back. They said there was an issue with the passenger side trunk antenna [see note below]. After going back and forth with Audi they blamed it on the aftermarket stereo. I removed everything, and returned all wiring to stock. However, they dragged their feet (the car was there 5 weeks), and wouldn't look at the car, so I took it back.

I took the car to another dealer. They confirm interference in the region of the passenger trunk region. However, they found out about aftermarket equipment and wanted everything returned to stock. They claim that any wiring, even if it's not connected to anything, will mess with the key antenna. They refused to believe that I had returned everything to stock, even though all the wiring is intact.

However, Audi sent them a letter saying that since I have made modifications to the car, the warranty is void, and will not authorize any further work on the car.

Some notes:
- The only modifications I made were to tap the amplifier outputs, and drive the speakers through those same stock wires. Of course, fused power from the battery and tapping the trunk cigarette lighter for switched 12V.
- I didn't run any of my own speaker wiring, just used stock wires.
- I have a wired front/rear dash cam. It's disconnected.
- No other electrical modifications whatsoever. Car is lowered, but has no engine mods or chip.
- Per ERWIN, there are 3 antennae (below cup holders, driver side rear trunk, driver side rear door) and the two door handles. There is NO antenna in the passenger side.
- I ran measuring blocks in VCDS myself and confirm that the sensors are not always seeing the key.
- I have never gotten a "low battery" alert for the fobs, even when they are low.
- There is agreement that the fobs are dying because they are being constantly polled.
- The fob is reliably detected when in the armrest cubby, so the NFC sensor is working.
- This issue has been documented multiple times in AudiWorld and other forums. People have had the convenience module, fobs, or both replaced, sometimes multiple times. This is not an isolated issue.

From the very beginning Audi has been firm in not wanting to cover this issue because of the stereo. IANAL, but my understanding is that unless the warranty explicitly claims that any electrical subsystem modification voids all other electrical subsystems coverage, this is not kosher per Magnuson-Moss.

Of course, I can troubleshoot myself, replace sensors or even the module. But, I need the dealer to recode the keys. We're talking thousands of dollars out of pocket.

Any thoughts?