Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm looking to find an iOS app to help tune my car's audio - any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I'm looking to find an iOS app to help tune my car's audio - any suggestions?

I have one of those microphones that connects to my iPhone (a Dayton Audio iMM-6C mic) and was looking for a good app to tune the audio with. There appear to be quite a few options, but I was hoping that someone here had some experience here and can make a recommendation.
Based on what I've read, I just need to pipe pink noise through my speakers and then listen with the app/mic to make adjustments with the EQ. Sounds easy! But any good, reliable apps that can aid with the tuning, potentially in real time?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2024, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey,did you find any good apps?
Old 04-24-2024, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

AudioTools is probably the best measurement software on iOS. But keep in mind that an iOS measurement software will be limited utility.

Personally, I am a former car audio sound quality competitor and for tuning my cars I have used a couple of computer software programs. SysTune and Smaart. Both of these are professional grade softwares for tuning sound systems in concert venues, recording studios, etc...
They are quite expensive, however.

For a free software that offers much of what Smaart and SysTune offer, there is REW. Room EQ Wizard. This is a really great place to start learning.

Which stereo system do you have in your car? I currently have a 2023 S8 with the B&O 3D system, but there is very little user settings for tuning it. Just basic treble, bass, sub tone controls. The B&W system in my 2020 M5 was a lot better, and it offered a multiband EQ for the user to tune with.
The following users liked this post:
Turguin (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there! That's a great choice with the Dayton Audio iMM-6C mic! When it comes to tuning audio with your iPhone, I highly recommend checking out apps like "AudioTools" or "SPLnFFT." Both are reliable options that allow you to adjust EQ settings in real-time while piping pink noise through your speakers. verizon fios billing issues They offer comprehensive features and intuitive interfaces, making the tuning process a breeze. Give them a try and let me know how it goes! Happy tuning!
Turguin (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For making measurements with all the speakers playing, you'll want to use uncorrelated pink noise and also move the mic around during the measurement to get a spacial average. Single mic locations do not work well in cars. You need to get an average from an area around where your head will be.

You need uncorrelated noise because if you have multiple speakers playing a correlate signal you will get lots of comb filtering where the phase doesn't align. Uncorrelated noise is more random and therefore less prone to this issue.
Turguin (04-24-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is all great advice, thanks! I recognize that a mic on an iPhone maybe isn't the best way to capture audio, but I was looking for relatively affordable and effective
For reference, I'm primarily looking to tune the audio in my 2010 TTS roadster (you can imagine, being a roadster, and due to the cabin shape, it's the one in most need of some salvaging). I have the original speakers etc., but have upgraded the head unit to a Kenwood DMX957XR, so it has a lot of tuning options available to it (far more than the original RNS-E had).
Old 04-24-2024, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If your head unit allows you to mute individual speakers and apply EQ to single speakers, then you can use Correlated pink noise to tune 1 speaker at a time.
Uncorrelated pink noise is better for tuning overall system tonality with all speakers playing.

Looks like you also have adjustable speaker delay. You'll want to set that first. You can use a tape measure to get the numbers mostly correct.
There is a more precise method for setting delays using impulse response measurements, but that's an advanced technique that will take you some time to learn.
Turguin (04-24-2024)