Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DICE iPod adapter issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DICE iPod adapter issue

I had a local car audio shop install a DICE iPod adapter in my A6 a few weeks ago. It's been great, until now...

I had the installer arrange the "dip switch" settings so that I could navigate my music using the iPod controls and only have the skip control available on the headunit/steering wheel. I have been using an older 30GB iPod classic without any issues. I just picked up a new 120GB iPod classic to replace the old one. With the new iPod, I am not able to control anything on the iPod itself. I get an orange Apple logo and it displays the name of the song playing (on the iPod only, not the headunit). For some reason it jumps to the same random song every time I plug it in. If I reset the iPod while it is plugged in, then the controls will start working. But when I turn the car off and back on, I'm back to square one.

So I called DICE and they instructed me to reset the DICE box. Since it is installed behind my headunit, I will need to go back to the installer to have this done. So that appointment is a week out. Of course I don't want to wait. The rep from DICE also mentioned that the dip switch settings may need to be adjusted. This can't be the case since my old iPod worked fine with the settings originally set by the installer. I went to lunch today with a friend who has a similar DICE adapter in his Passat. I tested it on his stereo and it worked fine with the iPod controls.

Any ideas?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re: and you freind does not have the dip settings..right?
Old 02-11-2009, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

good question. not sure.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:34 PM

Default I have had all sorts of issues with Ipods having different firmware...

..such as the case when you get a newer version unit.

Your original install is based upon your current unit, and tested to work with it. All guarantee's of functionality/compatibility go out the door when you get a newer unit.

Sometimes just a reset of the DICE unit will do just fine.

I had a Mercedes client that after his original 40GB Ver 1 Ipod, we couldn't get any other unit to work, no matter what was done...Go figure.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

thanks. I hope I don't end up in the same situation as your client.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default one more question.....

I'm still confused about the dip switch settings needing adjustment after switching to the new model. there is only one setting to control everything via the iPod, right? to the best of my knowledge, there are not multiple configurations depending on which gen/rev iPod....
Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 AM

Default Re: DICE iPod adapter

If it is same as Neo (I understand it is) the issue may have to do with when you start ipod/headunit. You have to synchronize the start or it gets messed up. Have ipod "off" and then let stereo system start it when you turn on car stereo.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll try this. thanks.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

...didn't work.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:06 AM

Default correct..the dip switches are as follows..

Car Configuration, 2 switches for the CDC controller. For Audi, both are set to the "OFF" position.

Ipod Configuratio, 2 switches, 1 for 'Locked", and one for "Ipod"

The Ipod will be locked when selected for use with advanced controls of the radio. (Both "OFF" by default.)

Quick Reply: DICE iPod adapter issue