Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead radio. Checked the fuses, everythings ok but no power to Radio.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead radio. Checked the fuses, everythings ok but no power to Radio.

2001 Audi S4 Symphony II with the Bose system

drove my car, parked it, at the time the radio worked just fine.

next time i started the car the radio didnt get power. i pulled the fuse, replaced it and the radio worked again.

however, parked it turn the car off, turned it back on and the radio was dead again. checked the fuse again and the fuse was just fine!

got home removed the radio and replaced the fuse in the back of the radio. pluged the radio back in started the car and it worked.

this time the radio worked fine for a day or two and then died again. check both fuses, they were fine but i decided to replaced them anyways. again the radio died for no reason.

I didnt have the windows tinted or anything so no water on the AMP, pushed all the wires back in and still nothing.

Does anyone have any experiance with this, any possible solution or do i have to replace the whole radio?

ANY ideas are welcomed!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Symphony II? Doesn't your car come with the original Symphony?

I ask because there's one in the classifieds for $125 if you run into a brick wall and just want to replace it.

Sorry, I don't have any helpful input in correcting your issue. Good luck!
Old 07-18-2008, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default your right it is the original symphony, thanks im already looking to replace it

so far its working, im hoping it wont act up again. then again who knows.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Not sure if u still have the problem but i have the exact same one and replacee the radio with a brand new one and that fixed it for about a year now back to the same thing. Exept if u unplug the harness that is conected to the cd changer that solves the ploblem exept not reat speakers.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by papuc (MMI S4)
2001 Audi S4 Symphony II with the Bose system

drove my car, parked it, at the time the radio worked just fine.

next time i started the car the radio didnt get power. i pulled the fuse, replaced it and the radio worked again.

however, parked it turn the car off, turned it back on and the radio was dead again. checked the fuse again and the fuse was just fine!

got home removed the radio and replaced the fuse in the back of the radio. pluged the radio back in started the car and it worked.

this time the radio worked fine for a day or two and then died again. check both fuses, they were fine but i decided to replaced them anyways. again the radio died for no reason.

I didnt have the windows tinted or anything so no water on the AMP, pushed all the wires back in and still nothing.

Does anyone have any experiance with this, any possible solution or do i have to replace the whole radio?

ANY ideas are welcomed!
Have a 2001 S4 as well and I'm experiencing the exact same thing. I can't understand why simply pulling and immediately replacing the same fuse brings it back to life each time. Works fine while the car is running, but after being off for 5-10 minutes, you need to do the fuse dance again to bring it back to life.

Did anyone ever come across a resolution for this, short of 1) replacing it with an aftermarket system or 2) replacing with another Symphony? It's way out of warranty at this point so whatever path I take would cost me $$$. I'm not against spending some dough to get reliable audio, of course, but I figured I'd at least ask if anyone had any luck attempting to repair, or clean, or whatever, the existing radio that was having this issue.

At this point, I know it's a shot in the dark, but hey...
Old 04-04-2014, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Dead radio - fuse trick no longer works

Originally Posted by ashblade
Have a 2001 S4 as well and I'm experiencing the exact same thing. I can't understand why simply pulling and immediately replacing the same fuse brings it back to life each time. Works fine while the car is running, but after being off for 5-10 minutes, you need to do the fuse dance again to bring it back to life.

Did anyone ever come across a resolution for this, short of 1) replacing it with an aftermarket system or 2) replacing with another Symphony? It's way out of warranty at this point so whatever path I take would cost me $$$. I'm not against spending some dough to get reliable audio, of course, but I figured I'd at least ask if anyone had any luck attempting to repair, or clean, or whatever, the existing radio that was having this issue.

At this point, I know it's a shot in the dark, but hey...
I have 2001 A4 and have the same issue. tried replacing the fuse even though the radio fuse looks fine, still no change. Has anyone had any other successes fixing this mysterious dead radio?
Old 07-15-2014, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Is it the radio or electronics?

Originally Posted by Smartikus
I have 2001 A4 and have the same issue. tried replacing the fuse even though the radio fuse looks fine, still no change. Has anyone had any other successes fixing this mysterious dead radio?
Further to this, I've found that if I disconnect / reconnect the battery the radio comes back to life (after going through safe mode drill). But unfortunately, it lasts for one, maybe two subsequent power off/on's.

I'm worried that if I replace the radio I might still have the problem!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Smartikus
Further to this, I've found that if I disconnect / reconnect the battery the radio comes back to life (after going through safe mode drill). But unfortunately, it lasts for one, maybe two subsequent power off/on's.

I'm worried that if I replace the radio I might still have the problem!
The other potential issue with replacing it, as I recently learned, is that the Audi dealer will have to attempt to reprogram whatever replacement radio you get to your vehicle. I say "attempt" because there is a chance that Audi in Germany won't give them the code information if they think the radio may be stolen (at least this is what the service guy at my local dealer told me.) The weird thing about the whole conversation was that, by the end of it, I really had the feeling that I might just be "out of luck" where it came to getting a working, factory replacement - which is just bizarre to me.

I think I'm still going to try and risk it, though, as I've managed to find a pretty inexpensive replacement, and will post back how my experience goes. Stay tuned.

I'm also going to see if Audi can even still get a replacement "blessed" radio, and if so, what it would cost - you know, just for a good laugh. ;-)

I will also try the battery dis/re-connect and see what results I get. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Check your battery it might be dead, that is the common problem. The mechanic is full of it, if its an aftermarket try checking the wiring see if that person did a good job doing it.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Any resolution??? I'm having trouble... '05 A4 cabrio... Sym11, Bose, cuts out, 2 days or 2 weeks. right now going on 2 weeks again. just speakers. dash looks fine just no speakers. I hear a pop and out they go. Not much info out there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead radio. Checked the fuses, everythings ok but no power to Radio.