Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CANBUS/Concert II experiment -- update

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CANBUS/Concert II experiment -- update

Early this summer I purchased a CANBUS adapter off of German eBay; the description said it allowed use of CANBUS radios in non-CANBUS cars. I have a 99.5 A4 and wanted an in-dash CD player, so combining this with a Concert II was an appealing option.

I recently finally won a Concert II on eBay UK, and it arrived today. So I tried it out and... it works!

The adapter required a little bit of fiddling -- after hooking things up initially, and having an extra wiring harness from the adapter with nowhere for it to plug into the Concert II, I figured out that the two wires in this extra adapter needed to go into the stock wiring harness. They're basically the two CAN wires. I had some extra stuff laying around and was able to integrate these two wires into the harness. With the adapter the illumination comes on and the unit powers on and off with the ignition. I haven't yet had it on for an hour to see if it shuts itself off, but assume that won't be an issue.

If you search German eBay for "audi can-bus" it'll come up with the adapters.

So far the only problem is the Concert II won't load CDs. I've contacted the seller and am hoping to get this issue dealt with. However, the important thing is the adapter works.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: CANBUS/Concert II experiment

for the cost of the adapter and the concert II
it does not seem to be worth it...
it's nice to know it does work though.
I looked into it before but could not justify
the price.

As far as the cd not loading, it maybe dirt on the intake roller or something is stuck inside blocking the disk from going in further.
I would send it back..
Old 12-11-2005, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: CANBUS/Concert II experiment -- update

Can you give details on the seller you bought the adapter from?

Tim Reilley
Old 01-31-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: CANBUS/Concert II experiment

Hi,

I've been looking for a plug-in adapter to let my Concert II to work fully with my Audi A6 non can-bus '97 car. If you could give me the details of the seller of the adapter, then I could get in touch with them, and purchase one. I have seen many different versions of can-bus adapters and some that won't work with the setup on the concert II. So its crucial I get the version you have. I do a lot of long distance driving on the motorway and have found over the past 2 years, the most annoying hang up is the fact that the unit automatically turns off after an hour.

If you could please let me know, that would be great.

Thanks,
Martin