Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Can you buy the R8 at MSRP if you order it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ouch can almost buy the Lambo Gallardo for that!

Seriously, as much as I dig the new Audi R8, for that much money, a slightly used Gallardo is looking attractive.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default for 160K I am driving a used DB9 all day long

plenty of go fast power all day long.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:20 PM

i've sold 2 at msrp, delivered the 2nd yesterday
Old 06-29-2008, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Can you buy the R8 at MSRP if you order it?

I hope my story is not typical. I place my original order in June of 2007 with my local dealer. This was a bit before the big hype in the press and I ordered it at MRSP and placed a deposit. Shortly after Christmas in 2007 I received a phone call that my car had arrived. Several days later I went to the showroom to pick it up. What a beauty it was, just as ordered. We went into the sales managers office to make the final financial arrangements and he said, " There is just one small detail that we need to address but I don't think it will be a big deal. A friend of the owner of the dealership saw your car in the showroom and offered him $150,000 for it. The owner (of the dealership) says you can have the car if you match the offer."

At first I thought this was a joke and I laughed. When it became clear that he was serious, I produced my papers documenting our original deal and had some not so kind words for him, his dealership, his integrity, and may be even a few words about his mother. He apologized. He told me there was nothing he could do. The owner had made his decision. He may not agree with it, but his job was on the line and he had to follow through. I had made a $5,000 dollar deposit back in June and they would pay interest plus a $1,000 for my troubles.

At that point I called my attorney and faxed him the original agreement. He called the dealer and spoke with the sales manager. He told them we would initiate a lawsuit at noon the next day, including a court order that the car could not be sold until the matter was resolved. Still they would not budge and he told me to go home after I informed them I refused to take back my down payment.

My lawyer happened to be connected in the community and had access to the dealership owner's cell number. He called him and left a message that we would not let this matter drop.

Several hours later, just before 5pm , my attorney called and told me the dealership had agreed to honor the original agreement and I should go to the dealer to pick up the car.

So, the most exciting day of my life, picking up my new r8, was tarnished by an unscrupulous dealer. In the end, the story has a happy ending and I have enjoyed the car immensely. Needless to say, I will not be going back there for service.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Be glad you had the foresight to have MSRP in your agreement.

When I put my deposit down last January for the V10, they assured me that I would get it at MSRP. As there is no pricing yet, my agreement simply states "TBD" (just checked). I wish I had been more careful. At the time my understanding was that MSRP was Audi policy so I didn't insist on specific wording.

Fortunately I live in a relatively small city and am still the only one on their list for an R8.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I had a similar situation with the S5 I ordered for European delivery...

Same outcome. Why they try this crap I don't know. They should realize if you press the issue they will lose, as well as lose you as a customer for life.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:02 AM
Banned

I also work at a Penske Dealership 3 delivered all at MSRP
Old 07-03-2008, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default As an atty I helped a buddy of mine buy the 1st S2000 in AZ back in the day in similar circumstances

Dealers = evil
Old 07-05-2008, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh. Humans on both sides of the table. Customers are known for being just as dirty.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good point.

Quick Reply: Can you buy the R8 at MSRP if you order it?