Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Audi R8 vs. 996 X50 Turbo? Anyone compare the two when shopping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi R8 vs. 996 X50 Turbo? Anyone compare the two when shopping?
Old 06-05-2008, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Audi R8 vs. 996 X50 Turbo? Anyone compare the two when shopping?

used Porsche v. new R8?

why not a 997tt, which is a better car than a unmodded X50
Old 06-05-2008, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One is less than half the cost of the other. No doubt different animals, with the Porsche

covered under CPO warranty if at all.

Depends if you like the boost thrust or linear normally aspirated power delivery. It also depends if you like the locked down chassis feel of the R8 vs the slightly light front end of the 911 varients.

Of course interiors can't be compared. Options too - stereo, bluetooth, backup cam, etc.

And then there is the question if you want what most people will view as just another 911. That can be both comforting, or too ordinary.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks April, this is the second 996 related ? you have answered beautifully

Have been looking at a Porsche for a long time and after going back and forth between 997 (fell in love with the '07 Targa) and 996, I think I am going to eventually go with a late model 996 X50. I would love the R8, but that will have to wait, plus with all the money I save I can go with a CPO 996 and have lots of money left over for mods, and interior goodies like a decent nav, bluetooth, stereo etc.

Only problem is finding the right one. . .low mileage, good options (unfortunately will have to be Tip), and the right price. My current Audi took me three months to find, so I am sure a Tip, '04-'05, CPO 996 X50 will take a lot longer.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The number of people who popped for the X50 package were few. A creampuff example

is going to change hands very quickly.

I suggest you cruise the various Porsche forums like 6speedonline and Rennlist. Since you're looking for a CPO car, you might strike up a relationship with somebody at a dealer and have them use their internal computer systems to help seek out a car. Let them know what you want, and they should be able to search CPO inventory nationwide. They can also look into Porsche dealer only auctions.

Yes, forums will diss the X50 as being a poor value - but that was when new. Now that option costs you pennies on the dollar and is well worth it IMHO.<ul><li><a href="http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/">http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/</a</li></ul>
Old 06-05-2008, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Have been reading up for about an hour a day on both those forums, and you are right

they do make it seem like X50 is not worth it, but the same people dissing it on those forums has also upgraded their turbos, etc. . .all of which cost them more money and headache than finding a nice X50.

I will let the Porsche engineers, and the wonderful depreciation of such a package do the work for me, =).
Old 06-05-2008, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yeah, $7K for a turbo swap, then upgraded intercoolers, exhaust and clutch, don't make

sense if the X50 gets you most if not all the way there in the first place.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default April is right on. My instructor last ACNA track event...

had an X50. Her husband runs a shop specializing in Porsche. The X50 is more than just a bigger turbo and different programming. There are a lot of unseen internal engine changes that you will not get with a turbo swap.

My instructor was a nutcase (well, not really) and the car was unbelievable. I have never, ever felt acceleration like that (her's was modded even more, apparently "in the 600 hp range, not exactly sure"). When she hit the gas at any speed it was absolutely like warp drive. I could not stop laughing for hours after.

Very different car from the R8, especially from the outside. This looked like any other 996 turbo, and like any other 911 to the untrained eye. But goodgodalmighty what a rush!!!
Old 06-09-2008, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree...

I've had an 05 Turbo S Cab for three months now. Among other options, the S package includes the X50 engine, which gives it a little under 450 HP. Mine is stock and not the ~600 HP your ACNA instructor has. But a stock X50 is scary fast - I swear, on a couple of hard accelerations it felt like the beast was going to pop a wheelie. Coming from a B6 S4 myself, it's an eye popping difference.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Audi still has the best interiors and amenities...

I couldn't believe that the Homelink option (garage door opener system ) was not available for my 05 Turbo S. Also, no satellite radio - I really miss XM. I have the full leather option on the Turbo but even with that it's not nearly as nice as the interior in my previous car, a B6 S4. And the interior noise is much greater in the Porsche than in the S4.

But do I regret my decision? Nope... I'm having too much fun. :-)

Porsche doesn't seem to worry as much about the creature comforts due to their primary focus on getting the basic driving experience itself nailed down. Engine performance, suspension, and transmission are by far much greater priorities. Though I daresay some air cooled Turbo jocks (993 and previous) would disagree and lament that the Turbo models of the 996 and 997 series are too cushy and not edgy enough. :-)

Quick Reply: Audi R8 vs. 996 X50 Turbo? Anyone compare the two when shopping?