Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Anyone else done the R8 Sportscar Experience besides PeterH?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else done the R8 Sportscar Experience besides PeterH?

My father and I are looking to do it soon, and was looking for some more feedback.

I was wondering how it compared to other programs, Skip Barber, etc.

Also, is there anything happening after the end of the second day? We were looking to make a red eye back to the east coast and wondering if we would miss anything.

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:37 PM
V8

Default Have you seen this report? If not I think it will answer many of your questions...

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/r8/msgs/6860.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/r8/msgs/6860.phtml</a>

I've done the R8 2-day program and I really enjoyed it. I've also done Skip Barber, but when you ask how it compares I'm assuming you're referring to their 1 or 2 day high performance driving schools? I did the 2 day with Skip Barber and that was great. With Skippy you'll learn more about how to drive due to better instruction and a wider variety of exercises (e.g. skid pad). You'll also get to apply your new found skills in different cars. The downside is less actual track time and the facility (I was at Laguna Seca) is nowhere near as nice as the Audi/Russell facility at Infineon. Both programs are 100% lead follow when on track.

If you're looking for first class treatment at an incredible facility while driving an incredible car then the R8 program is the way to go. If your primary concern is to improve your driving skills then I think Skip Barber would be better.

The R8 program can't be compared to the Skip Barber racing schools, or the Jim Russell racing schools:

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/norcal/msgs/67735.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/norcal/msgs/67735.phtml</a>

Oh, and the 2nd day of the R8 experience is all driving (6 sessions) with a very short classroom talk thrown in (and lunch, of course). The program is done after the last session on track so you won't miss anything if you leave shortly after.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's a good review...

I guess my question comparing it to Skip Barber was pretty ambiguous.

My father and I have both done the 3 day racing school with skip barber and the 2 day masters Porsche driving experience, so we've gotten a taste of courses aimed towards pure driver improvement and a course aimed at learning a particular car. I assumed it would be more like the Porsche school, I was just curious as to how someone might compare it.

You say the R8 program is 100% lead/follow, meaning that there is always an instructor car in front (limiting the speed)? This was not the case in either course we did, both had completely open hot lapping sessions.

Regardless, I am looking forward to the event. We're booked to go during the September session.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:39 PM
V8

Default I've also done the Porsche Masters course...

and I think it's better than the 2-day R8 experience. The Porsche Masters course is like a combination of the Skippy high performance class and the R8 experience. You drive a specific high-end car at a fantastic first-class facility, but you are also given lots of driving instruction. And, as you mentioned, the open sessions during the latter part of day 2 are awesome, especially when you're in the cars with the carbon brakes! Not even Skippy gives you that unless you're in their racing school.

Porsche recently added another 3-day class called "Race License" for graduates of the Masters course. I'm strongly considering doing that even though I already have my racing licenses. I had so much fun out there (I actually did both classes back-to-back and was there for 4 days).

Since you have some classes under your belt already I think you'll actually enjoy the R8 experience more. It is completely lead/follow though and honestly if your group has a slower driver then that may take away from the fun. You are likely to have a partner as well so half of the time you'll be a passenger--I don't like that so much.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Porsche 3 day Racing License course sounds great, but a bit beyond us.

I'd love to take that course, but I don't think my dad has any interest in getting involved in auto racing, and since he's footing the bill for these courses, it's his choice. His goal is just to improve his driving techniques, learn the limit of these cars, and flog someone else's car on the track so he doesn't have to use his own.

With that in mind, I think we'll really enjoy this course as long as we don't get stuck with real novices in our group. I can't decide if I want to be his riding partner in the same car or if we want to be running in the same group. Since it's all lead follow I guess we won't be racing each other anyways.

When we did the PDE they were still using the 996, so no carbon ceramic brakes. The 997 wasn't even out yet but there were a couple factory guys at Barber with them testing them out or something.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default All three sound like fun!

I would actually like to do all three driving schools (Skip Barber, Porsche Masters course, and R8 experience) as well as an all day exotic car class to find which sports/exotic car fits me best.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:50 AM
V8

Default Re: All three sound like fun!

I attended a few of the World Class Driving events. It's a half-day experience where you drive 6 or 7 exotic cars. It's lead/follow and on the street, but still a lot of fun. It's a great way to test drive high-end cars and find out what you like, and they have events all over the country.

<a href="http://worldclassdriving.com">http://worldclassdriving.com</a>
Old 08-09-2008, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Wow that sounds like perfect birthday gift

I am thinking of this for my next birthday present to myself. I figure while I work hard, save and invest for my future dream ride, I might as well learn how to drive a fast car safely while finding the one that fits me best. So far- I really like the R8, Lambo Gallardo, and Aston Martin Vantage in terms of comfort, looks/styling and performance. The Lambo and R8 cost more than the Aston Martin but have more real exotic look to them. I also love the Ford GT but Ford stopped making it. Spyker is my favorite convertible car (was in the Jet Li movie War) but costs almost 300k too rich for my blood. Ferrari F430 is nice but more expensive and not as cool looking as the Lambo or R8.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default If your goal is to improve driving skills, consider Audi Exclusive DE

program on ice offered in Sweden &amp; Finland. This may be a little late, but there may still be seats available for the March 4th-9th program:

see, (&amp; contact directly) e.g.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: Kammerbauer, Rainer (I/VM-633) [mailto:Rainer.Kammerbauer@AUDI.DE]
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:28 AM
To:
Cc: Alexandra Jungk
Subject: Audi driving experience - Finland 2009

Dear Michael,

for the next winter season in finland I would like to offer you following event for customer from USA:

Finland Experience
with Audi A4 quattro
04th - 09th March 2009

Laplandhotels Olos
exclusive Apartments with Sauna and Jacuzzi

price per person: € 3.350,00 (not tax)
flights by own organization

I reserved 10 places for customer from USA, because also other asked for places... We will keep the reserved places till end of september for you.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. We looking forward to welcome you in Finland!

With best regards

Rainer Kammerbauer
Audi driving experience
AUDI AG
I/VM-633
85045 Ingolstadt
Tel. +49(0)8 41 89 4 07 81
Fax. +49(0)8 41 89 3 51 46
mailto:rainer.kammerbauer@audi.de

The experience is very close (different car, but the driving offered is close to)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF0oL4F1I8U&amp;feature=related

As for other things at Infineon,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ARv4YOCGQ<ul><li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF0oL4F1I8U&amp;feature=related">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF0oL4F1I8U&amp;feature=related</a</li></ul>
Old 10-14-2008, 08:45 AM
V8

Default Re: If your goal is to improve driving skills, consider Audi Exclusive DE

Hey Mike!

This is Kevin, we did the 3-day advanced Russell school together in the FJR-50. How are things going? Good I hope...

The driving experience in Finland looks great, but I don't think I can make that one. If you go then please post up some photos/videos.