Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Am I crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I crazy?

Since I'm on the waiting list for a new R8, my sales guy called me when the first one for the dealership was delivered so I could take a peek...

To be honest, I wasn't blown away. Maybe I've been staring at the R8 in pictures too much but when I saw it in person it was a little underwhelming. Or maybe because it was in "standard" silver?

Especially the interior, it didn't look that much of an upgrade from a regular TT. I'm sure it drives like a monster, but for me it has to be the whole package, especially if I'm gonna pay nearly 150K for it!

I headed over to the Porsche dealership next door and the 911 Turbo looked more and more attractive. Am I crazy here or what?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default it sounds like you are pining for a Porsche

you may be happier in a Porsche than the R8. You are not crazy for liking what you like. Don't worry, if you cancel your R8 order, there are plenty of guys who will thank you so they can obtain their R8's one guy quicker.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Am I crazy?

I had an 05 911 Turbo "S" Cab, a wonderful vehicle and fun to drive. I have driven the R8 a number of times and it is an exquisite vehicle. My R8 will be here Monday and even if it was months away, I would not consider a 911 unless it was a GT3 and then the two cars could not be more different. As EVO magazine in Europe stated, "Porsche has made 1965 last for 42 years".

The R8 is sophisticated, elegent, limited, masculine, cutting edge, state of the art and more, you get the idea. How could a true "gear head" not find these attributes inspirational ?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many optional features did the Porsche have? They have 50-some pages of options

most interior trims. You can easily drop $30K just on trims with a Porsche. If the interior is what matters to you, then get the Porsche and prepare to spend the cash making it something you like. If a modern chassis and dynamics matter, then get the R8.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:00 AM

Default The interior of the 997tt doesn't come close to that of the r8 imo

If you want the interior to feel more special, spec it up with options like carbon trim and colors from audi exclusive.

If you've not test drove a 997tt I'd recommend you do it sooner rather than later - I was all for buying one until the test drive which left me totally deflated outside of the ten tenths performance.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 997tt owner here waiting for an R8

I've had my turbo for over a year now and will trade it on on the R8 (sometime in the Spring supposedly). The turbo is a wonderful car - fast, reliable, amazing steering, brakes, grip etc - the best all-round, all-weather supercar you can buy IMO. Best way to sum it up - an incredibly competent car.

But here, the "problem" - most of the time it's a little boring - it's almost clinical in the way it goes about its business - "passion" is not a word I would use with the turbo. I love the car for what it does well (runs circles around just about anything), but I'm not "in love" with the car.

Couple that with an uninspiring engine/exhaust sound (though the sound has gotten better with age)and the incessant road noise that all 911's have as their tires age and that leaves me looking for something else. Of course,one of the really great things about the turbo is that it is highly tunable for relatively modest amounts of money. So you can really change the car's personality if you wish to.

Another thing about the turbo is that you can drive it relatively anonymously - only those that know see it as anything but another 911. BTW - know what the first question is that I always get? - "What year is it?".

If I was willing to play Ferrari sales games, I'd opt for a 430, but I'm not, so the R8 seems like a good choice - an everyday car with real verve.