Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

after 15 Porsches, just left deposit on R8 V10

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after 15 Porsches, just left deposit on R8 V10

I'm a long time Audi and Porsche owner - they have been my cars of choice for the last 30 years - but, always Porsche for sports car and Audi for sedan - this is the first time I will buy an Audi to replace my Porsche (current car is 997tt), or I should say maybe.

I am still somewhat skeptical that the driving dynamics of a R8 will get past that "95% wonderful mark" and really be the equal of a Porsche sports car. Anyone who has owned a Porsche 911 knows what I mean about the sum total of the driving experience. I think from an acceleration, interior and exterior looks point-of-view, the R8 can easily compete - we'll see about the rest.

Your opinion is welcomed
Old 12-31-2006, 08:51 AM

Default I have reached a similar dilema

This morning, took the Dino out for a 50 mile "backroads" drive up the coast(Hw1) at speed. The song of the motor and the balance of the chassis are almost too much to think of parting with.
I too will be making the switch but I feel a sense of emotional loss at the thought of selling the Ferrari. I wish I could have both, but with 3 college tuitions and just recently buying another car for one of the kids, it's time to make that decision.
In my case... I know the R8 will not disappoint. It's not fair to even compare. The technology is over 30 years apart.
In your case the 997tt is a great car with excellent characteristics. I would expect though, that the two cars will be completely different.
I can't wait to see, drive and own what I think will be a fantastic "exotic" Audi!
Can you share a little about the down payment, dealer, and delivery time you've been quoted?
Old 12-31-2006, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I think you'll be happy (993 C4S owner here...)

I loved my 993 C4S and thought it was the epitome of the AWD coupe experience... until I bought one of the first Gallardos in the U.S. Fantastic car, does everything well, etc.

Too well, in fact... when I think about why I sold the car (it replaced a six-speed DB7 Vantage Cpe in the garage) the main reason wasn't its fault at all... it's that my expectations (after a loud V12 through a Tubi exhaust) didn't quite match the reserved character of the Gallardo (I know, odd to say a Lamborghini has a "reserved" character... but the Gallardo does...) Then I finally bought an Elise and got that out of my system :-) Now I'm back to big-engined GT cars... back to the "Aston" part of the "cycle" :-)

Anyway... I think you'll like the R8. It's quite a chassis, and as long as you aren't looking for the raw Elise-like feedback I was hoping for (which it isn't really designed around giving anyway...), I think you'll be plenty happy.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I think you'll be happy (993 C4S owner here...)

Now that's funny - the Gallardo is "reserved" - that car has more presence than just about anything on the road. It's part of what I love about my 997tt, it doesn't attract attention.

I think that the R8 will be as much an attention grabber as anything else out there. To me it is essentially "Audi's Ferrari" and it reminds me more of Ferrari designs than it does Lambo.

But really what I care most about is how it goes about its business on the street. If it's dynamically brilliant than I'll be thrilled.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I have reached a similar dilema

The dealer is Jack Daniels in NJ - I have bought dozens of cars from them so all they wanted from me is a $500 deposit. As far as delivery, they believe their first R8 deliveries (8 cylinder version) will be late summer or fall of '07 and the 10 cylinder version will be about 1 to 1 1/2 years later. This means that we won't see the V10 until late 2008 or early 2009 - that's what I'm adjusting my expectations to.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:57 AM

Default You might miss the performance

The 911 turbo owner is usually a torque junky. You will probably miss that feeling in the R8 even in the v10. Then again, no one really has the details on what the v10 will entail so this might not be the case. If it is equivelant to the gallardo v10 which it most likely will be then the acceleration won't be there. The overall handling, feel, and comsposure definitely won't be lacking though. Time will tell, until then a 997tt is a hell of a consolation prize.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:11 AM

Gallardo V10: the acceleration won't be there? waahhaaaaah, funny...
Old 01-02-2007, 04:40 AM

Default In comparison to his 997 turbo

Which is in another league of torque delivery and acceleration in comparison to the gallardo V10.

Guess it isn't quite as funny as your reading comprehension
Old 01-02-2007, 07:34 AM

I thought the R8 was going to have a 4.2 V8
Old 01-02-2007, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Isn't the official time for the 997tt 3.7 seconds? The latest G (shorter gearing) is 4.0.

Given differences in drivers and road surfaces, that might be splitting hairs.

In the end IMHO it's how the car sounds and feels, not how quick it is. I love jumping into my Alfas after the Audi, for the raw tactile sensations they provide. When I get my hands on the F355 once in a while, it's even more intense. But they do wear you out. Hopefully the R8 will balance it out. As Cameron says, the G is almost subdued in driving character, even if the outside says otherwise.

Quick Reply: after 15 Porsches, just left deposit on R8 V10