Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Wireless CarPlay issues now that AudiConnect expired

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Huh. You must live in a different dimension than me were unlimited cell service is dirt cheap. 1GB AT&T (30 day) cost $15CDN and was gone in less than a week. Tough to justify that.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:51 AM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Drskywalker
Huh. You must live in a different dimension than me were unlimited cell service is dirt cheap. 1GB AT&T (30 day) cost $15CDN and was gone in less than a week. Tough to justify that.
I was a kid when we left Canada for the States, but I didn't realize cellular was so expensive there. Stateside, AT&T is $20/month for unlimited data*.

*Data might be slowed after 22GB per month.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this was mentioned however I was reading thru the manual and came to the CarPlay section. Specifically wireless. In the Tips it says "Wireless CarPlay" is only available if your vehicle is registered through a certain option in the mobile phone network. Not sure what that means but references page 180. Going to page 180 it's specifically the AudiConnect Infotainment system. So apparently to do wireless CarPlay you do indeed need to pay for the service. Unless I'm reading that wrong.

Thanks.

Steve
Old 08-09-2019, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after multiple trial and errors I think I figured out how to keep Wireless CarPlay working properly. In the beginning, everything worked great until the free trial subscription ended, then I had sporadic connection issues that eventually lead to issues almost every other time I would get in the car. Fortunatly the fix which works for me does not require me to buy the subscription which is something I thought was cool but definitely do not need.

Shut off the car data module...I think my iPhone tries to link to it and this causes issues (such as my phone would connect to the car's wifi and no longer allow me to use my own ATT data plan rendering maps and other data tasks inoperable; or the iPhone would not connect to the car and when I chose my iPhone to be connected, nothing would happen)
To shut off the car data module: Home, Settings, Connected Devices, then hit the top right gear icon, mobile phone network, unclick carphone or data module.

I also shut off the MMI WiFi connection within the myAudi app (not sure if this really makes a difference but seems to be working)
Click the man on bottom app, vehicle connection, then unclick the MMI WiFi connection

Hope this solves anyone else issues too who do not want to subscribe to the service!

I think this is ultimately a bug that needs to be worked out by Audi or apple.

Another tip...Instead of totally removing your iPhone then reinstalling it (which does work but is cumbersome) whenever there is an issue, simply go to your iPhones bluetooth menu, then click the "blue I with a circle around it", then unclick the carplay, then after a second or 2, reclick it. This seems to let the Audi reconnect to it properly again. Of course it will get all jacked up again if you don't shut off the data module as I described above.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Forgot to mention...after shutting off the car data module, there is an annoying pop up that occurs after starting the car about a minute or so after driving. It asks if I want to active the data module...to which I say cancel. If I hit activate, it causes all the problems to occur again.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by poppers1
Forgot to mention...after shutting off the car data module, there is an annoying pop up that occurs after starting the car about a minute or so after driving. It asks if I want to active the data module...to which I say cancel. If I hit activate, it causes all the problems to occur again.
Thanks for the update. As I suspected it is a routing issue in MMI.

There are TONS of software bugs in the MMI as I have been discovering. Someone in QA needs to get canned haha.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

We are the Q8 team! It is cheaper to let us do the work.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by poppers1
So after multiple trial and errors I think I figured out how to keep Wireless CarPlay working properly. In the beginning, everything worked great until the free trial subscription ended, then I had sporadic connection issues that eventually lead to issues almost every other time I would get in the car. Fortunatly the fix which works for me does not require me to buy the subscription which is something I thought was cool but definitely do not need.

Shut off the car data module...I think my iPhone tries to link to it and this causes issues (such as my phone would connect to the car's wifi and no longer allow me to use my own ATT data plan rendering maps and other data tasks inoperable; or the iPhone would not connect to the car and when I chose my iPhone to be connected, nothing would happen)
To shut off the car data module: Home, Settings, Connected Devices, then hit the top right gear icon, mobile phone network, unclick carphone or data module.

I also shut off the MMI WiFi connection within the myAudi app (not sure if this really makes a difference but seems to be working)
Click the man on bottom app, vehicle connection, then unclick the MMI WiFi connection

Hope this solves anyone else issues too who do not want to subscribe to the service!

I think this is ultimately a bug that needs to be worked out by Audi or apple.

Another tip...Instead of totally removing your iPhone then reinstalling it (which does work but is cumbersome) whenever there is an issue, simply go to your iPhones bluetooth menu, then click the "blue I with a circle around it", then unclick the carplay, then after a second or 2, reclick it. This seems to let the Audi reconnect to it properly again. Of course it will get all jacked up again if you don't shut off the data module as I described above.
Hi, Is this fix still working for you ? I am think of an A6 for my next car and CarPlay is really important to me. How often are you getting bad wireless connections now ? Thanks
Old 10-05-2019, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by minieggs
Hi, Is this fix still working for you ? I am think of an A6 for my next car and CarPlay is really important to me. How often are you getting bad wireless connections now ? Thanks
So this worked for me nearly all the time but it was not 100%. It was way better than what I was initially experiencing though after my trial ended subscription ended. One thing I can say is that since the apple iOS update which made massive improvement to the CarPlay interface (multiple tiles on home screen), the issues of poor connection I described above have so far (fingers crossed) gone away even with keeping the "car data module" button on. Which is great so I don't have to keep hitting the annoying pop up anymore asking me if I want to activate the module. Maybe the iOS update fixed the issues? Not sure this is the same with everyone else, but that's what I've been experiencing anyway....I certainly love apple CarPlay, especially after this massive update...but I've also accepted that if in the worse case, I'd used Audi's mmi and it's actually not that bad....in fact pretty darn awesome (if it weren't for CarPlay being super awesome). so I don't consider it a deal breaker in getting my q8 since I love the car overall.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had been following this thread and been somewhat dreading letting the Connect subscription expire. It did last week and so far so good. As noted above, iOS 13 has come out since this thread first started and that may be helping.

I did have to play around in the wifi and Carplay settings a bit because initially the phone was still wanting to get its data through the Connect hotspot so it kept showing "not connected to the internet" . I wish I could remember exactly all the steps I did, but here's what I do recall:
  • turned off auto-join on both Audi networks and forgot them
  • The 5GHz network would not let me renter the network password after that for some reason. I have no idea if this has any affect on anything. So I did enter the 2.4GHz password but kept auto-join off
  • deleted the Audi profile in Carplay and deleted my phone from the Connected Devices on the car
  • Added the phone back to the Connected devices.
It seemed to struggle at first making and keeping the connection and then suddenly it seemed to work things out and I have had not problems for 4 days.

Quick Reply: Wireless CarPlay issues now that AudiConnect expired