Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Wireless CarPlay issues now that AudiConnect expired

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After further testing, it still appears that the wireless CarPlay connectivity is spotty and unreliable now irrespective of location. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Luckily, wired CarPlay still works reliably, so that's a solution but certainly less convenient.

Regarding the cell booster: The booster is only active when the phone is in the phone box charger, correct? CarPlay had always worked either in or out of the phone box, so I'd be surprised that the booster would cause an issue.

Audi Connect is a ridiculous $499 per 18 months with wi-fi data an extra $10-25 per month.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Six month Q8 owner in the same boat

Hey McGriddle,

I bought a Q8 six months ago—which means my AudiConnect trial also just expired. I’m having the exact same experience you describe (including being annoyed by the nag and being unable to find a way to permanently dismiss it).

I refuse to purchase the price-gouged Audi Connect Prime and Plus subscription (which, at best case, works out to almost $50/month) just to get Wireless CarPlay to work. I don’t care about online map updates or in-car Google local search, since iPhone apps via CarPlay gives me all of that functionality...and I already have an unlimited data plan on my mobile phone.

What’s more, when I was considering purchasing the car, I asked about what I’d lose after AC trial expired and specifically asked for confirmation that I’d have no issue with CarPlay since I know the phone still needs a WiFi connection to the car. My thought, however, is that, as long as you have iOS’s “Wi-Fi Assist” enabled (iOS Settings > Cellular > [scroll to bottom after “CELLULAR DATA” section loads])...being connected to the car’s WiFi shouldn’t be an issue. Of course I was reassured that not buying a paid subscription to AC would not effect that...

Something seems fishy here—by all means, CarPlay should work wirelessly just the same as it did during the 6-month trial. Even if the mobile signal booster is not available without AC subscription (which seems bogus, too)—I’ve had issues with Wireless CarPlay even when my phone (in the phone box) has full LTE signal. I’m still trying to find a way to get this to work.

I’ll report back here if I find anything that works—please do the same.

Thanks!

-Justin

Originally Posted by McGriddle
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this recently with CarPlay. Now that our AudiConnect expired just last week, we're now having trouble with wireless CarPlay.

My wife's iPhone X (it's her car) used to connect flawlessly using Wireless CarPlay. However, since last week when our AudiConnect service expired, her phone rarely connects to wireless CarPlay reliably. We've tried everything and nothing seems to work. We toggle airplane mode off/on which works sometimes. We've tried forgetting the 5Ghz wifi network and reconnecting. We've tried the USB cable and it works sometimes. It never connects right away when starting the car now whereas it used to connect 100% of the time before AudiConnect expired.

Has anyone else had this issue since your AudiConnect expired?

Also, it's annoying that the "nag" screen keeps popping up every time we start the car saying that AudiConnect is expired. Is there a way to dismiss this nag permanently? It's very annoying.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by McGriddle
After further testing, it still appears that the wireless CarPlay connectivity is spotty and unreliable now irrespective of location. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Luckily, wired CarPlay still works reliably, so that's a solution but certainly less convenient.

Regarding the cell booster: The booster is only active when the phone is in the phone box charger, correct? CarPlay had always worked either in or out of the phone box, so I'd be surprised that the booster would cause an issue.

Audi Connect is a ridiculous $499 per 18 months with wi-fi data an extra $10-25 per month.
Sounds like you might have a case of bad timing. Your Q8's WiFi antennas might be having issues. I'd suggest you check with the dealer and see if they can repair it.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bostonQ8
Hey McGriddle,

I bought a Q8 six months ago—which means my AudiConnect trial also just expired. I’m having the exact same experience you describe (including being annoyed by the nag and being unable to find a way to permanently dismiss it).

I refuse to purchase the price-gouged Audi Connect Prime and Plus subscription (which, at best case, works out to almost $50/month) just to get Wireless CarPlay to work. I don’t care about online map updates or in-car Google local search, since iPhone apps via CarPlay gives me all of that functionality...and I already have an unlimited data plan on my mobile phone.

What’s more, when I was considering purchasing the car, I asked about what I’d lose after AC trial expired and specifically asked for confirmation that I’d have no issue with CarPlay since I know the phone still needs a WiFi connection to the car. My thought, however, is that, as long as you have iOS’s “Wi-Fi Assist” enabled (iOS Settings > Cellular > [scroll to bottom after “CELLULAR DATA” section loads])...being connected to the car’s WiFi shouldn’t be an issue. Of course I was reassured that not buying a paid subscription to AC would not effect that...

Something seems fishy here—by all means, CarPlay should work wirelessly just the same as it did during the 6-month trial. Even if the mobile signal booster is not available without AC subscription (which seems bogus, too)—I’ve had issues with Wireless CarPlay even when my phone (in the phone box) has full LTE signal. I’m still trying to find a way to get this to work.

I’ll report back here if I find anything that works—please do the same.

Thanks!

-Justin
Justin--Thanks for letting us know that you're having the issue as well. It's incredibly frustrating and impossible to solve at the moment. I am still unable to reliably get the Wireless CarPlay to work.

In our latest tests: Sometimes it'll connect and work. Other times it'll connect but data will not transfer (Maps, Waze, and Google Maps will be available but fail to search or get directions and state "SSL connection unavailable" or something like that). At other times, it won't connect at all and only shows the "go to connected devices" screen.

I'm starting to wonder whether the Audi's system is constantly attempting to verify the Audi Connect subscription and in doing so, activates the onboard SIM, which makes the iPhone think that service is available via the car which then makes the iPhone stop using it's own service. Just speculating there.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought my Q8 three weeks ago. The salesperson told me that the wireless Carplay is tied to the Audi connect and after the service expires it will not work.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dizydion
I brought my Q8 three weeks ago. The salesperson told me that the wireless Carplay is tied to the Audi connect and after the service expires it will not work.
That is not comforting to hear... Has anyone else heard something similar? To be honest, I never thought to ask when we bought the Q8. Justin mentioned above that he heard the opposite, but our experiences now are making me think Audi Connect is needed!
Old 07-15-2019, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried wireless carplay when I bought my A7 just to try it out. It worked fine but I really didn't need it, so I haven't used it since. But hearing what's on this board, I tried it again now that my Audi connect has expired - and it doesn't work!

I'm getting really angry that Audi is holding us hostage with this overpriced Audi Connect crap.

After 3 consecutive Audi's, I will consider that carefully for the next time.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow if Audi indeed limit a local area network activity such as wireless AirPlay when the subscription expires, that is going to be a very bad move on their end. Now mine subscription hasn't expired yet so there is no way I can help test and troubleshoot.

Technically speaking wireless AirPlay itself does NOT require Internet activity. All the iOS device does is simply mirror it's secondary display to the vehicle's display and respond to the input from that screen. One possibility is what Justin has mentioned and it COULD result in a routing issue within the iOS device itself. This will require further testing. When my trial expires I will attempt to try it out and capture some wireless packets and analyze possible cause.

Bottom line is if my initial thought is true then Audi is facing some major backlashes with angry owners on this...
Old 07-16-2019, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had my Q8 since January. At first, wireless CarPlay worked sometimes, not others. Had 1 month with Audi Connect and no problems. Too damn expensive for the value, so stopped it. Since then, back to the start - sometimes yes, sometimes no. Can't figure out a pattern.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:41 PM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

We drive Q8s and we are complaining about $20/month?
The following 2 users liked this post by SoundsoftheSuburbs:
Ammar10498 (11-19-2019), udayp24 (07-16-2019)

Quick Reply: Wireless CarPlay issues now that AudiConnect expired