Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Will RSQ8 availability be limited?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
The deals needed to move cars are lease incentives, something a dealer has zero control over. This makes RS cars much more expensive to own, and I doubt on average there will be a mere $20K difference between S and RS transaction prices.

Dealers often make identical deals (or even better) on ordered cars, as they have zero floor plan cost and more "fixed/known" expense as opposed to not knowing how long something will sit on the lot accruing floor plan interest. RS cars USED to be rare, people paid sticker for them and had waiting lists. Now you can't hardly give away RS models, and they are hugely discounted, more so than even many lesser models in some cases. Combine the economy with the "not very exclusive any more" RS sentiment and, after the first wave of early adopters, these things will sit on lots like lead waits.

There couldn't be a more terrible time for Audi to release an entire lineup of RS cars. The money should have been spent on their core products, like an actually meaningful update to the A4/A5/Q5 lineup. They botched this again, and sales numbers will reflect it. They will have to make huge deals on RS cars, destroying the used market and it all just comes undone.... We've seen these before from other brands. Eventually there will be no business case for RS cars because they loose so much money and they will be pulled from market...it's all but guaranteed.
The S and RS Q8 specifically will be that close in price. Pricing has been announced and they pretty much have the same packages, excluding carbon bits. The packages are priced similarly too, so as long as one is comparing similarly equipped S and RS versions, the price difference will not pass $25k assuming one is paying sticker.
A lot of members are having a hard time negotiating off sticker on even S models (talkless of RS) so that is the case for the time being. I know in a few months to a year, it'll be VERY different.

Now I think a bit differently from you when it comes to the future of Audi RS.
RS, just like AMG and M, is getting more popular and common. That is going to make them less sought after in the used market, and less valuable. All these performance lines from these brands are getting more popular for one reason only, the growing trend in new car leasing over buying. People can afford more car per lease, vs. purchase. Then they don't have to deal with resell later. Just turn it back in and get another.

I definitely would not purchase an RS car outside maybe the TT RS and/or RS3. The others just drop too much in value and a lease is wiser unless the buyer plans on keeping it for a long time (at least 8 years).
​​​​​​
Old 03-23-2020, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The RS vs. S issue is the issue of good being the enemy of great. I think, too, the RS vs. S situation is one where the customer is often unable to discern the perceived performance of the RS as being "worth" the asking price for the bump in performance.

I do not take my cars to a traffic-restricted, no speed limited course. I drive on "public" streets, roads, highways, and Interstates -- when traffic gets heavy, I generally go with the flow. I don't need an RSQ8 to do this, Indeed, I can't avail myself of most of the RSQ8's potential.

I have, currently, a 2018 S4. My dealer loaned me an RS5" and I test drove the RS5 and my S4 back-to-back over the exact same course. I could feel the difference between the two. The RS5 pulled more strongly, but it was a subtle difference. Both cars pulled very strongly. Either one would be quicker than most other cars on the highways and streets most of us self-restrict to.

The RS5 was way over $16,000 more than my S4, It didn't FEEL like it was even worth that difference.

There may be some visual cues, true, but so few people will know -- other than you -- and I just don't see the VALUE in the RS premium. But I'm just one guy.

I did the RS firs then redid the test in my S4 -- frankly, they were VERY similar in performance. Much as I would like to own an RS, the "S's" I know are really good -- the cost of great is too dear.
Old 03-23-2020, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't forget that the RSQ8, and to a maybe slightly lesser extent, all Audi RS cars, also serve as Halo cars. Meaning they get as much benefit from the appearance of having these somewhat crazy cars in their line up to serve as aspirational Brand Builders.

Audi have moved up market very successfully over the past 20 years. If you look back on how they got to a level where now they are viewed by most as equal to MB and BMW, a lot has to do with them launching a few important cars, and motorsport success, that got them up to that level of brand perception.

Launching the A8 was important, then success in motorsport. The TT, the R8, then the proliferation of S and RS models. All of those gave the Brand more cachet, as well as giving many enthusiasts, such as some of us, cars to aspire to buy and enjoy.

Just my 2 cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by clembo:
markcincinnati (03-24-2020), RichRace (03-24-2020)