Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Wheel Lugs and Covers

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Lugs and Covers

I had purchased my 21Q8 CPO last May (23). In the fall I bought new winter tires and wheels (I'm in MN) and had them put on. This spring, I had them swapped for my OEM tires and wheels that came with the vehicle. I took my 21 Q8 to the dealer for 40k mile svc last week and they said I had different lugs and covers than OEM. While that's possible, since my guess is that the shop where I had the new tires/wheels installed may have pocketed them. They quoted over $700 for new lugs and covers, which seems crazy to me.

Am I missing something as to why these would cost that much? I'd think maybe up to $400 would be reasonable. Follow up question: dealer says it may be a safety issue, but I'm not sure if this is really the case.

Any context would be very helpful - thanks!

Old 04-02-2024, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Are your winter wheels from Audi? If not, they probably use a different lug bolt (typically conical seat vs. Audi's ball seat). The installer probably neglected to change to the correct lug bolts. If the installer is well-versed in Audi's, this should have been something they noticed. Audi bolts typically have a hollowed out head and aftermarket bolts (supplied with non-Audi wheels) are typically solid.

A set of 20 standard Audi bolts at retail price is probably ~300 since the Q8 likely uses the more expensive bolt with floating seat. The plastic covers shouldn't be more than 20 for the set. Labor to install is probably ~250 (one hour) depending on your region. After tax that brings you to ~650. Again, there are lots of variables - is your dealer charging retail or wholesale on the parts, your region's taxes and hourly labor rates, etc. I'm told that early this year Audi increased dealer labor rates some ~20%.

If you want locking bolts like those in your picture, that is an additional cost.

Originally Posted by 2021Q8
Follow up question: dealer says it may be a safety issue, but I'm not sure if this is really the case.
If the lug bolts installed are the wrong seat or length, it could damage the wheel or the hub. If the bolt seat area of the wheel is damaged, the wheels should be replaced.

Since friction surfaces are part of the torquing specification, bolts with an incorrect seat may not be tight enough. Any wobble or vibration can cause accelerated wear on suspension and steering components.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 04-10-2024 at 12:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
uberwgn (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

Like prior reply says, you do need Audi standard ball type, NOT conical used by other manufacturers or on one size fits all (sorta kinda) aftermarket wheel stuff. If you have conical aftermarket now fit to Audi OE ball seat wheels, that is not good and should be changed pronto. Wheels should looked at to see if ball area is now compromised--not just cosmetic minor, but seriously deformed.

There is also a weird Q5 gen 1 variant that had a supposed slightly different ball seat, but never clear if it it was really true. I owned one... Can't be sure on anything Gen 1 Q7 either (could be related to the Gen 1 Q5 fluke) because it used a non-standard 5 x 130 bolt pattern from the original Cayenne. That got deep sixed with Gen 2 Q7 and therefore Q8 and back to std 5 x 112 modern Audi.

The separate ball seat premium ones are not somehow Q8 pixie magic dust FWIW. They have been on D bodies since the early millennium and now three generations old. H&R also has them in some lengths for spacer applications. If you want to go cheaper, you can try EBay. Should know the donor vehicle set up in reading ad. I have bought a bag of all 20 OE in good condition for as little as about $50--I use them on lesser Audis as an upgrade in nicer OE wheel swaps. Aftermarket wheel shops that sell the aftermarket out the front door often sell this stuff as a side business (after telling owners they will "take care of" the disposal at no charge...). The caps are all pretty standard. They just pressure fit to the bolt head, and a different round shaped one is used for locking bolts. Can get OE from dealer in the various color shades, ECS, probably other sites, cheap sets in probably Chinese sourced plastic colors, etc.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 04-02-2024 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Are your winter wheels from Audi? If not, they probably use a different lug bolt (typically conical seat vs. Audi's ball seat).

Since friction surfaces are part of the torquing specification, bolts with an incorrect seat may not be tight enough. Any wobble or vibration can cause accelerated wear on suspension components.
I just bought a CPO SQ8 2023 and had new replica winter wheel wheel package included as part of the deal, these will get installed in the Fall. The OEM 22" V rims are installed on the vehicle.
ow can I tell which lug bolts I will need, "conical seat vs. Audi's ball seat".
Old 04-08-2024, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockout
I just bought a CPO SQ8 2023 and had new replica winter wheel wheel package included as part of the deal, these will get installed in the Fall. The OEM 22" V rims are installed on the vehicle.
ow can I tell which lug bolts I will need, "conical seat vs. Audi's ball seat".
The company that manufactured the wheels can tell you the correct seat and length of lugnuts. If using replica wheels, you should ensure they are tested by a third party to meet TUV and/or JWL regulations. Lots of poor quality wheels out there.
The following users liked this post:
Rockout (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FrenchToast
The company that manufactured the wheels can tell you the correct seat and length of lugnuts. If using replica wheels, you should ensure they are tested by a third party to meet TUV and/or JWL regulations. Lots of poor quality wheels out there.
Thank you. I will follow-up with my dealer and connect directly with the wheel supplier.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the info everyone! I'm getting my lugs replaced tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2024, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Instead of those difficult little covers my Dealer made a paper cone, put it in lug hole and spray painted the tops.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 2021Q8
I had purchased my 21Q8 CPO last May (23). In the fall I bought new winter tires and wheels (I'm in MN) and had them put on. This spring, I had them swapped for my OEM tires and wheels that came with the vehicle. I took my 21 Q8 to the dealer for 40k mile svc last week and they said I had different lugs and covers than OEM. While that's possible, since my guess is that the shop where I had the new tires/wheels installed may have pocketed them. They quoted over $700 for new lugs and covers, which seems crazy to me.

Am I missing something as to why these would cost that much? I'd think maybe up to $400 would be reasonable. Follow up question: dealer says it may be a safety issue, but I'm not sure if this is really the case.

Any context would be very helpful - thanks!
In April of 2021, a set of lug bolts from a dealer cost $222.43. Highway robbery!

Steve
Old 04-30-2024, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Interesting that people still buy wheel locks. Can't remember the last time I heard of a set of wheels being stolen...they take the whole car now! I have heard of several lost lock keys and broken locks though. Huge cash cow for dealers.

Quick Reply: Wheel Lugs and Covers