Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Tire Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 401 Likes on 341 Posts

my opinion: it's mostly because american's are very all season oriented - it's baked into the culture. "the convenience of it"...just like i bet we have more drive thru food places than anywhere else. i have become a fan of separate winter and summer, but i only recently researched the nuances, and came to really understand why it is so much better to have separate winter and summer.
Old 12-27-2022, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 202 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
my opinion: it's mostly because american's are very all season oriented - it's baked into the culture. "the convenience of it"...just like i bet we have more drive thru food places than anywhere else. i have become a fan of separate winter and summer, but i only recently researched the nuances, and came to really understand why it is so much better to have separate winter and summer.
I came at it the other way ,got tired a swapping wheels/tires and the small fortune it cost over 3 vehicles , moved to UHPAS tires , same driving environment ( live in the hills , ski home at Whistler ), absolutely no issues or close calls
Old 12-28-2022, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the sportcontact 6's and then the pirelli scorpion zero's and then pilot sport 4 all seasons here is what i would say about each, mind you I live in south florida:

Sportcontact 6's were the best all around, rode the best and had the best grip in dry and rain. However they lasted the least.

Pirelli's rode 2nd best, still good ride and lasted the longest.

Pilot sport 4's I thought were terrible. They were super hard, loud and rode like ****. I know they are an all season tire but the Pirelli's are much more comfortable to drive on. So that is my take on the 3.
Old 12-28-2022, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NyCAudiGuY
Hi All - As tire knowledge is completely out of my depth, I'm looking for insight from the community. I have a '19 Q8 Prestige and I'm in need of replacing my current tires. Now I'm not looking to put the Hankook back on just to get a chance to experience something else but also I'm seeing they are currently going at $700+/tire.

Just looking at reviews I'm having a difficult time pulling what makes one better than the other. So wondering what folks opinion on the below or suggestions if I should be looking at something else:
- Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4
- Continental Crosscontact LX Sport
- Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season

Thanks in advance
I have the Pirelli's listed above. Had the Conti's prior and the Pirelli's are soooo much better. I have over 30K miles on them and they have plenty left. Will probably put another set of the Pirelli's once these are due replacement.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NyCAudiGuY
Hi All - As tire knowledge is completely out of my depth, I'm looking for insight from the community. I have a '19 Q8 Prestige and I'm in need of replacing my current tires. Now I'm not looking to put the Hankook back on just to get a chance to experience something else but also I'm seeing they are currently going at $700+/tire.

Just looking at reviews I'm having a difficult time pulling what makes one better than the other. So wondering what folks opinion on the below or suggestions if I should be looking at something else:
- Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4
- Continental Crosscontact LX Sport
- Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season

Thanks in advance
I went from the Hankook to the Pirellis on a 2019 prestige. I may be in the minority, but after about a year after switching, i prefer the Hankooks. Oddly, the Hankooks tend to be materially cheaper from an Audi dealer, and you may get a dealer coupon or they are often discounted. I too am in Manhattan, but you will find better pricing in the NJ or LI dealers compared to Manhattan Audi.

My biggest issue with the Pirellis is that they seem to hydroplane more than a $600 tire should, and they could be better in NY version of snow. The Hankooks also were not great in snow, but i dont think the Q8 is great in significant snow (at least compared to the 4 Range Rovers i had before the Q8 that shrugged at 10 inches of snow with all season tires). The Conti tires were OEM on the last two Range Rovers and were fine but i replaced with Michelins qhen the time came. The Michelins were not available last year. I was inclined to fo with theuch cheaper yokohamas but they were not available.
Old 12-31-2022, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 892 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
With all my sympathy for the members of this forum, but I still can't understand why some people buy expensive high performance cars like the RSQ8 and then put AS tires on them that limit the car's performance. It's a bit like watching only black&white movies on a color TV screen.
Season dedicated tires transform our cars and I an a huge fan. With the OP living in a NYC apartment it is not a realistic option.
The following users liked this post:
Wildbear (01-04-2023)
Old 12-31-2022, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
Season dedicated tires transform our cars and I an a huge fan. With the OP living in a NYC apartment it is not a realistic option.
This may help other multi-residential dwellers...I have separate winter wheels and tires, and I live in a condo. After 3 months of asking around I was able to get a 9x9 storage room down a lower floor - the girl gave me an amazing deal because she didn't like going down there. However, in know in NYC a 9x9 could be made into an apartment. My back up plan if I could not get the storage was to put wheel hangers on the wall at the rear of one of my parking spaces - which would have been a pain because I would have had to get permission to mount wheel hangers from the association - though I do believe they would have approved. Also, in new york, depending on the building there are pocket storage spaces - the supers use them. If you are good w the super, you might be able to slip them some cash to store something in a pocket space.

Old 01-02-2023, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Here in Illinois, Discount Tire will swap, balance and store 4 tires for $110 per season. Well worth it for me to not have to deal with lugging around 4 90+ lb wheel and tires. Not sure if any such options are available in NYC
The following users liked this post:
Wildbear (01-04-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HDCL
Here in Illinois, Discount Tire will swap, balance and store 4 tires for $110 per season. Well worth it for me to not have to deal with lugging around 4 90+ lb wheel and tires. Not sure if any such options are available in NYC
That is awesome I wonder if they do that in my area - I am going to check.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
With all my sympathy for the members of this forum, but I still can't understand why some people buy expensive high performance cars like the RSQ8 and then put AS tires on them that limit the car's performance. It's a bit like watching only black&white movies on a color TV screen.
Agree 100%.

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations?