Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Tire Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire Recommendations?

Hi All - As tire knowledge is completely out of my depth, I'm looking for insight from the community. I have a '19 Q8 Prestige and I'm in need of replacing my current tires. Now I'm not looking to put the Hankook back on just to get a chance to experience something else but also I'm seeing they are currently going at $700+/tire.

Just looking at reviews I'm having a difficult time pulling what makes one better than the other. So wondering what folks opinion on the below or suggestions if I should be looking at something else:
- Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4
- Continental Crosscontact LX Sport
- Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season

Thanks in advance
Old 12-26-2022, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 404 Likes on 343 Posts

first, i assume you're running the 285/40 22 size.

this is my opinion...of what you listed:I'd get the crosscontact LX sport (it's an OE tire, and i think you can get the OE version from tire rack). Michelin will always be good, but it has a higher UTQG value which means more tread life, and in my old school brain that equal rubber that isn't as soft, which is imo less desirable. I had crosscontact lx tires on my prior audi and when they needed replacing due to screws being thrown in the road near my house, i replaced them with the same thing because they didn't have any stand out bad attribute, and the car handled well with them. I do not like pirelli, had a few pair of them years ago, just didn't like them so I steer clear of them, they could be fine, I am just biased against them based on my personal experience.

What i'd really recommend if is getting the continental SPORTCONTACT 6 (the OE summer tire), and getting dedicated winter tires for winter. you'd have better performance all year round with dedicated summer and winter tires.
Old 12-27-2022, 02:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by NyCAudiGuY
Hi All - As tire knowledge is completely out of my depth, I'm looking for insight from the community. I have a '19 Q8 Prestige and I'm in need of replacing my current tires. Now I'm not looking to put the Hankook back on just to get a chance to experience something else but also I'm seeing they are currently going at $700+/tire.

Just looking at reviews I'm having a difficult time pulling what makes one better than the other. So wondering what folks opinion on the below or suggestions if I should be looking at something else:

Thanks in advance

Read this thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...stion-3045934/

Old 12-27-2022, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by NyCAudiGuY

Thanks in advance
I replaced the stock Continental summer tires on my Q7 with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's. Since then I am on my 3rd set and have completed several large road trips including 3 to the West Coast (including towing a large U-Haul trailer form San Diego to Arizona) and a 13,000 mile road-trip from Texas to Alaska. My comments on the Michelin's versus the Continentals are:
  • Quieter
  • More comfortable
  • Last longer and have a mileage warranty
  • For my style of driving no discernable difference in performance or grip

Just wish they made a 23 inch version for the RS Q8!

Old 12-27-2022, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently replaced the OEM Continentals (15,000 miles on Q8 Prestige 285/40-22) with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4's. The car rides quieter, at least compared to the Continentals with 15,000 miles on them. They were a bit pricey at $2,600 installed, with replacement warranty, at Discount Tire (which owns Tire Rack).
Old 12-27-2022, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
first, i assume you're running the 285/40 22 size.

this is my opinion...of what you listed:I'd get the crosscontact LX sport (it's an OE tire, and i think you can get the OE version from tire rack). Michelin will always be good, but it has a higher UTQG value which means more tread life, and in my old school brain that equal rubber that isn't as soft, which is imo less desirable. I had crosscontact lx tires on my prior audi and when they needed replacing due to screws being thrown in the road near my house, i replaced them with the same thing because they didn't have any stand out bad attribute, and the car handled well with them. I do not like pirelli, had a few pair of them years ago, just didn't like them so I steer clear of them, they could be fine, I am just biased against them based on my personal experience.

What i'd really recommend if is getting the continental SPORTCONTACT 6 (the OE summer tire), and getting dedicated winter tires for winter. you'd have better performance all year round with dedicated summer and winter tires.
Hi Thomas - appreciate the input. I'll look into the Crosscontact LX Sport as per your recommendation. I wish I can go with the approach of getting dedicated Summer/Winter tires. However, living in an apt. in NYC doesn't allow me the luxury of having that kind of situation. Which is why I have to go the route of All Season, but I appreciate the suggestion. Thanks again!
Old 12-27-2022, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for linking, however it doesn't look like this thread is really about a comparison in different tire brands. It's more about someone receiving a phenomenal deal on the OEM tires.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome, thank you for the suggestion. I'll definitely take these into consideration.
Old 12-27-2022, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 404 Likes on 343 Posts

tyre reviews (a youtube channel) is a good source too. he also really likes michelin.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 797 Likes on 610 Posts

With all my sympathy for the members of this forum, but I still can't understand why some people buy expensive high performance cars like the RSQ8 and then put AS tires on them that limit the car's performance. It's a bit like watching only black&white movies on a color TV screen.

Quick Reply: Tire Recommendations?