Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

SQ8 Brake Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

After spending way too many hours search for pad and rotor options, I just ordered a set of EBC orangestuff 9000s for my SQ7 (Audi pad part number 4M0698151BL/BB). Given the weight and the tune I did not want to go with an unfamiliar brand; nothing against any of the other companies mentioned. I was hoping to get some upgraded rotors as well, but it seems no one is focused on the SQ7/8 and the rotor dimensions are unique to this model. I thought maybe there was some cross over with the S8 but unfortunately completely different.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do not go with the Dynamic Friction front rotors. While they are similarly vented rotors, they are not OEM equivalent since they are not floating rotors.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

good catch!!!

so OEM rotors are the only option still?
Old 04-25-2024, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BOASTY
Do not go with the Dynamic Friction front rotors. While they are similarly vented rotors, they are not OEM equivalent since they are not floating rotors.
What is the significance of this difference?
Old 04-25-2024, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Agent Boost
good catch!!!

so OEM rotors are the only option still?
Seemingly. Have yet to fine any alternative that is floating.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Avantadrive_Original
What is the significance of this difference?
A floating rotor is basically two pieces, where the disc is separate ("floating") from the rotor hat (mounts to hub). A floating rotor is in between solid/fixed rotors and true two piece rotors (found on high performance/race cars). It is much better for cooling than fixed rotors and I would not recommend fixed rotors on the SQ7/8.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Followed @ecloumd and ordered the RockAuto DF ceramic pads. I don't know where @retom found the ATE pads but seemed hit or miss finding them from a site I was familiar with/wanted to trust not to mention the sites I did find were multiple times more expensive vs Rock Auto DF ceramic pads. I'm only at ~5400 miles right now so doing pads only. Hoping this also solves this damn squeaking sound I've been hearing from my brakes too occasionally (primarily when going in reverse) of late.

Since my wheels are powder coated black I HATE dealing with the brake dust after washing car so can't wait to get some relief if I get close to same results as @ecloumd

Hoping to use my QuickJacks that we bought at Black Friday from Costco last year finally for this job so don't need to use regular floor jack but I guess we will see how jack points line up with QuickJack.... (I bought TL7000 model).

If things seem to go well I will be sure to snap lots of photos of the different steps to post in hopes it may help others. If you don't see photos it's because I set the car on fire in frustration or caved and hired someone that wouldn't let me take photos of their work to claim as my own.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SB_Hurricane
Followed @ecloumd and ordered the RockAuto DF ceramic pads. I don't know where @retom found the ATE pads but seemed hit or miss finding them from a site I was familiar with/wanted to trust not to mention the sites I did find were multiple times more expensive vs Rock Auto DF ceramic pads. I'm only at ~5400 miles right now so doing pads only. Hoping this also solves this damn squeaking sound I've been hearing from my brakes too occasionally (primarily when going in reverse) of late.

Since my wheels are powder coated black I HATE dealing with the brake dust after washing car so can't wait to get some relief if I get close to same results as @ecloumd

Hoping to use my QuickJacks that we bought at Black Friday from Costco last year finally for this job so don't need to use regular floor jack but I guess we will see how jack points line up with QuickJack.... (I bought TL7000 model).

If things seem to go well I will be sure to snap lots of photos of the different steps to post in hopes it may help others. If you don't see photos it's because I set the car on fire in frustration or caved and hired someone that wouldn't let me take photos of their work to claim as my own.
I’ve done a deep dive on the quickjack recently because Costco has the 7000TL on sale again. My research says you need the extended version (TLX) in order to fit them horizontally across the vehicle - can forget about using them the standard way for either model. The jack points are 60” on center across, and 72” on center front to back. The 7000TL has a 60” max spread, meaning it won’t hit the center of the jacking point when used horizontally across the car. The TLX is 66”’so would fit pretty nicely.

Unfortunately for me the TLX is considerably more expensive so I’m planning on using a floor jack and a lockout bar for added safety (Jack Rod) to lift each corner one at a time.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Avantadrive_Original
I’ve done a deep dive on the quickjack recently because Costco has the 7000TL on sale again. My research says you need the extended version (TLX) in order to fit them horizontally across the vehicle - can forget about using them the standard way for either model. The jack points are 60” on center across, and 72” on center front to back. The 7000TL has a 60” max spread, meaning it won’t hit the center of the jacking point when used horizontally across the car. The TLX is 66”’so would fit pretty nicely.

Unfortunately for me the TLX is considerably more expensive so I’m planning on using a floor jack and a lockout bar for added safety (Jack Rod) to lift each corner one at a time.
TLX never goes on sale from what I can tell, or I just always missed them. Even at BF on QuickJacks website it was only the other models with deals but still not matching Costco's price (and lifetime return policy).

I may bite bullet and get frame extensions knowing this now, what's another $400 at this point - MaxJax are too expensive and would take up too much floor space even put away. Didn't even catch at the time that I'd be short still with TL model. I just measured between lift points and it's like right at 59-60" apart. Damn car is too expensive to want to find out the hard way testing so will trust others here.

The shop who did my PPF and other work was able to get the car on jack stands on all 4 corners so I will ask them what they did... That is frankly what I would prefer, even over QuickJack to be honest, since that is how I learned to work on cars growing up (couldn't fathom affording an actual jack or lift system back in high school let alone this SQ8 haha). As you can tell in photo below they aren't any kind of special jack stand they used.

This actually just gave me an idea - I'm due for maintenance wash with detailer for PPF/ceramic warranty. Wonder if I can get him to swap the brake pads and be responsible.

Also - are there one-time use caliper bolts (maybe just for rear?) in play here that I need to order before I start a brake pad swap on SQ8? I was under impression I'm just supplying tools, OBD11 device, brake pads, c clamps, brake grease and orange threadlocker.

Last edited by SB_Hurricane; 04-25-2024 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-26-2024, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you find out how they got those jack stands on there using a floor jack please post it here!

Quick Reply: SQ8 Brake Pads?