Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

RS Q8 winter tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by HDCL
The Winter Tire saga continues. So Discount Tire test fitted the 285/45 R22 Bridgestones on my RS Q8 and in Dynamic mode (lowest right height) at full turn, the outer edge of the tires rub against the inner plastic trim of the fenders. Even though these apparently are supposed to work fine for an SQ8, the tires rub on the RS Q8 so they recommended against using this size on my vehicle.

The only recommended sizes left are 285/40 R22 or 275/40 R22. They said 275/45 will not work with the weight of the vehicle.

There are very limited options in the 285/40 at Discount Tire with the Michelin X-Ice being the only ones in stock at $550 / tire vs $300 for the Bridgestones. I am leaning towards getting the Vredestein Wintrac Pro from Tire Rack for $340 each, having them shipped to me and having Discount tire mount them to the wheels they have in stock.

I will let you know how this works out.
Howdy - so I’m looking at the 285/45r22 option for my Q8 with adjustable air suspension…. You said these rubbed on your RS at low setting; thinking my Q doesn't drop as low? My initial concern was the close proximity of the front upper suspension leaning over the top of the front tire - doesn’t seem to be much room there? Did you have any issues there?
Old 11-20-2021, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by B7Quattro Pete
Howdy - so I’m looking at the 285/45r22 option for my Q8 with adjustable air suspension…. You said these rubbed on your RS at low setting; thinking my Q doesn't drop as low? My initial concern was the close proximity of the front upper suspension leaning over the top of the front tire - doesn’t seem to be much room there? Did you have any issues there?
The base Q and SQ8 allow for OEM tire sizes other than 285/40 R22. There is something different about the RS Q8 brakes, wheel hubs or front fender assembly that limits tire sizes. I did not personally view where the tire was rubbing but the tech said it was the front outer edge at full steering lock. I asked about wheel spacers and he said that would actually make it worse. He said it was only off by a few millimeters and likely will not happen after the tire wears down a bit in 6 - 12 months BUT they did not recommend this size tire even though they are probably going to end up losing the tire purchase from me and had to go through the effort of test fitting the tires to the new wheels.

Last edited by HDCL; 11-20-2021 at 09:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
B7Quattro Pete (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The base Q and SQ8 allow for OEM tire sizes other than 285/40 R22. There is something different about the RS Q8 brakes, wheel hubs or front fender assembly that limits tire sizes. I did not personally view where the tire was rubbing but the tech said it was the front outer edge at full steering lock. I asked about wheel spacers and he said that would actually make it worse. He said it was only off by a few millimeters and likely will not happen after the tire wears down a bit in 6 - 12 months BUT they did not recommend this size tire even though they are probably going to end up losing the tire purchase from me and had to go through the effort of test fitting the tires to the new wheels.
It also could be a function of the wheel offset. If I have this right, the smaller the offset the more it will push the wheel/tire to the outside. Seems unlikely as I think your Splitter wheels had an offset of 30, which should push things in, but it's likely a juggling act between tire width, aspect ratio and offset, at least.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just placed an order on Tire Rack for the 285/40R-22 Vredestein Wintrac Pro XL

They are out of stock with an estimated restock date of 12/1 and delivery by 12/2. I ended up not ordering the TPMS sensors from Tire Rack since they were only $4 each cheaper and did not want to deal with any hassles if for some reason they don't work with the vehicle. Discount Tire can be responsible for making sure everything is in order.

From the reviews I have read, they are great compromise between dry/wet handling (up to 70F) and winter weather. We don't get THAT much snow in Chicago where I need a Nordic Winter tire optimized for heavy snow but compromised for dry/wet conditions. Most of the reviews also mention that they are very quiet.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just placed an order on Tire Rack for the 285/40R-22 Vredestein Wintrac Pro XL

They are out of stock with an estimated restock date of 12/1 and delivery by 12/2. I ended up not ordering the TPMS sensors from Tire Rack since they were only $4 each cheaper and did not want to deal with any hassles if for some reason they don't work with the vehicle. Discount Tire can be responsible for making sure everything is in order.

From the reviews I have read, they are great compromise between dry/wet handling (up to 70F) and winter weather. We don't get THAT much snow in Chicago where I need a Nordic Winter tire optimized for heavy snow but compromised for dry/wet conditions. Most of the reviews also mention that they are very quiet.
Yea, I ordered them a while ago and they're sitting in my garage along with 4 Vossen HF2 wheels (and four TPMS sensors I ordered from Amazon), waiting for my car. Of course now I'm finding out my car has been mysteriously "delayed" at the port, even though I was told a couple of weeks ago it was on the boat heading for Houston and should arrive by the end of this month. Gee, I wonder if that "miscommunication" had anything to do with the fact that they wanted me to commit a hefty deposit to the order.

By the time I get this thing I won't need winter anything.
Old 11-20-2021, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok looks like this is my only option then. Everything else is either unavailable or on back order these days.

Old 11-20-2021, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

These aren't available?

Old 11-20-2021, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SQ8westcoast
I parked my BMW 540 RWD in an airport and returned with 6 inches of snow .....................the car had high performance summer tires . I could not get out of the flat lot ! not a good idea for anybody to believe AWD would be much better
Actually quattro would have gotten you out of there. I’ve been driving them since 1996; quattro torsen is the best. How much better with summer tires comes down to driver skill.

Btw, I live in Maryland - Quattro and good all season tires (with good ice traction) is all I need here. I did the winter tire switch (from OEM A/S) with my Volvo’s for years, because their Haldex AWD systems sucked. I think it was still overkill around here. The latest all season tires with their trick tread patterns and exotic rubber compounds do fine in light to moderate snow and icy conditions. I understand winter tires if you’re dealing with northern winter conditions often.

Honestly I never understood summer tires on a 2+ ton SUV; regardless of horsepower, it’s still not a sports car. Of course then I go and buy a GLC 43 equipped only with summer tires on the big wheels. Those ridiculous summer Dunlop’s with crap water siping tread have been replaced by a great set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4’s. Overall the rig feels and handles better and I have the confidence in the cold, rain and light snow. I wish they came in the size I need for the Q8.

Quick tip (not to patronize anyone): if you’re getting a lot of wheel slip, like in that icy garage scenario, manual shift to a higher gear such as 3rd, ease into the throttle, to reduce the rpms, torque.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Anyone had any luck finding the 23” Hankook winter tires?
Old 11-21-2021, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SlammedR8
Anyone had any luck finding the 23” Hankook winter tires?
I was hoping for the same. It now looks like they don't even list them as an available size on their own website.

Quick Reply: RS Q8 winter tires?