Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

RS Q8 Coolant temperature too high - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS Q8 Coolant temperature too high - HELP

I have a 2020 RSQ8 with only 20k mileage but have started having problems with my coolant.
I was driving one day and i had this warning light come up on the dash “Coolent Temperature: Too High. Let engine run with vehicle stationary.” While waiting i checked the coolant level and it was fine, so i thought it might jst be a fault that can be reset by turning off the car and back on again. I looked at my temperature gauge and it was raising rapidly and then dropping rapidly, so I thought the best thing todo was call roadside assistance. They came and the technician plugged his OBD scanner in to see the fault code but no fault came up. He spent about 30mins checking everything and assured me that the engine isn’t actually overheating and it could be a fault somewhere on the electrical side of things. So i drove it to my local garage and they had a look at it. They pressure tested the pipes to make sure of no leak and the pipes were all fine but they found the coolant box had a hairline crack which was leaking very slowly but obviously losing pressure, so they replaced that.
i thought that would of fixed the issue but after a few hours of driving it, the warning light came back again.
i took back to the garage and they opened it up to check if the water pumps are working or any internal leaks and everything was normal apparently. My only option is to take it into Audi to try locate the issue. it doesn’t always come up but it has taken the enjoyment out of driving the car.
has anyone else experienced this or something similar?
is there any suggestions?

This is the warning message on the dash

Temperature is normal

Temperature is high

Attached Thumbnails RS Q8 Coolant temperature too high - HELP-img_6154.jpeg   RS Q8 Coolant temperature too high - HELP-9018d234-8b55-49f6-be95-49bf62fd911b.jpeg  
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6432.mov (2.58 MB, 0 views)
Old 04-25-2024, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 176 Likes on 141 Posts

I had this exact scenario about 6 months ago. Initial suspicion by dealer was turbo related, but ended up as bad water pump. Pump replaced under warranty and no issues since.
The following users liked this post:
RSQ8_GF (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by huntpsu1
I had this exact scenario about 6 months ago. Initial suspicion by dealer was turbo related, but ended up as bad water pump. Pump replaced under warranty and no issues since.

thank you for replying.
Do you know which water pump it was as the RSQ8 has x4 of them. 1 mechanical and 3 electrical.
I don’t have warranty so will have to pay for everything so want to keep cost to a minimal.
how mauch would it of cost if you dont mind me asking?
Old 04-25-2024, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 176 Likes on 141 Posts

This is my write up. It took a week to install the pump after they got the part. When the tech said he needed my wheel lock key, I knew Audi engineering certainly complicated this repair. 😎

RSQ8_GF (04-26-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol I just posted same thing about water pump. Should be factory recalled at this point.
RSQ8_GF (04-26-2024)